9 - Drinks

Leo sat in a booth across from Zach and Lilli at Public House. Lilli dug into her haddock sandwich. He liked a woman who could eat. Autumn ate, especially after an outdoor adventure. Did Reagan eat? He didn't even know if she had invited him for a meal. His gut told him it was for something else entirely.

Lilli pointed a fry at him. "What's up for the weekend?"

"Because of Isla church." He hadn't told his friends about his date.

Lilli frowned. "What's wrong with church? I'll admit we weren't the 'every weekend' family, but we went. We still do. Zach's gone. Right?"

"I was raised Lutheran, but I don't mind sitting next to Lill and holding her hand."

Leo rolled his eyes. He and Autumn never did church together. He baptised his kids later without her influence. Her mother was livid because it went against her beliefs. In her church baptism was a total immersion which occurred after being saved. Autumn didn't believe in any of it.

Zach said, "No need to pout. It's probably the right thing to do as a father."

He nodded, but his mind had digressed from him sitting for an hour on Sunday morning.

"We aren't doing anything. We should come to church, and then we can hang out for the day. Maybe do something fun."

Zach frowned and Leo said, "It's only an hour."

Zach laughed. "It's not the church part but getting out of bed early on Sunday morning."

Zach put his arm around Lilli to remove any doubt about his true intention. Leo wanted to complain, but he had his own opportunity with his date.

His friends didn't know the details about his divorce. They knew about Leo's toxic, contentious relationship with his in-laws, but not his situation. He didn't ask why they assumed Autumn couldn't parent. Some things were better kept private even with the best of friends.

He pushed his thoughts aside. "What kind of fun? I've been thinking of getting one of those plastic sheds. I'll need help putting it together."

Zach groaned. Lilli clapped. "Oooh, sweaty men working. That's fun."

Zach snapped. "It's March! Seriously? You take this friendship thing to the extreme."

"I know. You're used to hanging around drinking scotch with the Sumners and Roches." Zach grew up wealthy and traveled in the same circles as the publishing families.

"I'll do it because I like you, but I like your kids better, and I don't want their bikes left in the rain. I'll need to schedule a massage to help recover."

Leo snickered. "You're such a baby. Lilli can massage you." Leo regretted the thought and the memories which went with it.

Zach shook his head. "She always gets distracted and never finishes the job."

A pink hue creeped up Lilli's cheeks. "I finish another task just fine."

Leo groaned. "TMI. I like you two with my kids or in the office where no one knows and you act professional."

Lilli said, "You're just jealous."

Without thinking, he said, "I'm having drinks tonight with a divorced mom."

Lilli leaned in. "Really! Tell us more."

He shook his head. "There isn't more to tell. I told her I wasn't looking for anything lasting, and she didn't mind."

Lilli snickered. "Women lie, but why not?"

It's complicated. "She's not really my type."

Lilli waved her last fry. "I'll want an update on Sunday."