①②

×3rd person pov×

kai crossed his arms and glared daggers at beomgyu, who had calmly sat down on his bed and began playing with a book.

"you. you need to stop."

kai growled, pacing around beomgyus messy room. beomgyu shrugged and kai had to bite down on his tongue to stop himself from raging.

"why?"

kai asked, his voice suddenly soft. it caught beomgyu off guard and he looked at kai.

"yeonjun has done nothing."

kai turned to face beomgyu, anger and sadness on his face. the older gnawed on his lip, racking his brain to gather up the pieces that yeonjun had broken.

"well first off. you don't know anything, were you even born when we first knew each other?"

beomgyu joked but soon stopped when kai gave him a death glare. he sighed and sat up, cracking his knuckles out of habit.

"second. yeonjun is always better, he has to be the best, number one. he will destroy everyone and everything in his path to get it."

kai sat down on the edge on beomgyus bed to hear him better, his anger finally dying down.

"one day, years ago, I made the mistake of being better than him in a singing competition. oh boy he was furious."

beomgyu chuckled at the memory, the day still fresh in his head.

~

"and first place is... choi beomgyu!!"

the teachers loud voice boomed over the speakers. beomgyu jumped up out of his seat in excitement, waving his hands around happily.

yeonjun however, sat back in his seat, huffing annoyedly. his leg bounced rapidly as he swiped his tongue around his mouth in anger.

"oh you are so going to pay choi."

yeonjun whispered to beomgyu after he sat back down, kicking the youngers leg harshly.

happy little beomgyu went unsuspectingly home, only to be stopped by a hard blow to his back, causing him to jerk forward with the force.

"you know how hard I tried? huh!?"

yeonjun yelled, standing over beomgyu. the said boy shook his head sharply and tried to scramble back up, only to be brought back down.

"f.ck..."

beomgyu mumbled as he felt blood welling up at his hands where he had caught himself on the concrete.

"aww, who's the loser now?"

yeonjun sneered, pushing him back down. beomgyus hands ached as the forming cuts and bruises landed once again on the searing sidewalk.

a blow to his ribs knocked the breath out of him, causing him to flip over on his butt. he stared up at yeonjun with tears in his eyes.

the sun was behind yeonjun, giving him a glow. beomgyu attempted to shield himself as more hits were directed at him.

beomgyu gritted his teeth and forced himself to stand up despite his aching body.

knowing he would be nothing compared to yeonjun, he decided to flee. it was the only option.

turning on his heel, he tried to sprint away, but yeonjun stuck his foot out.

beomgyu went flying forward and his hands extended before he could stop himself.

his fingertips and the ball of his hand skidded on the rough concrete causing searing pain to shoot through him.

he forced himself up, staggering away as blood dripped down his hand and collecting at his fingertips.

"loser!!"

he heard yeonjun call behind him but he cradled his aching hands to his chest and forced himself to run faster, away from the boy he now hated.

beomgyu had only been ten.

~

"beomgyu? beomgyu??"

kai asked, annoyance bleeding through his voice. beomgyu blinked and snapped himself out of the daze.

the older looked down at his hands, seeing the many scars littering his palms and the faint scars on his fingertips.

he quickly closed his palms around each other to avoid any questions. he looked up at kai, but couldn't look him in the eyes.

"so you'll leave him alone? and leave his weight alone. he struggles with that a lot and you just crumbled him."

kai said and beomgyu absent mindedly nodded, his mind frazzled and his thoughts running around in a frenzy.

"great." kai said and stood up, leaving the room. beomgyu didn't follow, letting the tears that he had held back, come cascading down his cheeks.

bringing his knees up to his chest and pushed himself back to the wall, resting his head on his knees.

he was ashamed of the scars, never wanting his palms to be on full display in front of anyone.

beomgyu was never enough, he couldn't ever get first place, or be the best. because of yeonjun.

taehyun noticed that beomgyu hadn't come down with kai, worry instantly overcoming his mood.

he set down the bag and ran up the stairs, his legs carrying him faster than he intended. he tripped and his hands slid on the carpet.

he brushed off the slight sting and bursted into beomgyus room.

except, beomgyu wasn't there, the curtain to his window swaying in the slight wind that was coming from the open window.