Chapter 30

"My type?"
"Indeed, akiko san, what is your type?"
Now, as how all conversations go, it went from purpose for attending the masquerade, and yosano replied by shamelessly stating she came for the alcohol, to some other topics that yosano was not sober enough to remember, to their current subject, the types of people they were attracted to.
This, surprisingly, was not something that yosano thought about a lot, and she took a moment to organise her thoughts. She had known generally what she wanted, but specifically, it was an abyss waiting to be explored.
"Well, I've never thought about it..."
"It's perfectly fine, akiko san, though I bet your type must be someone as amazing as yourself, perhaps a golden dragon or a demon?"
The reference made zero impact, zooming over her head but yosano still giggled, it was a nice compliment, if she had interpreted it right and it was a compliment. Leaning on the railing, she appreciated the comfortable silence as yosano took in the view, it was beautiful, the building and its surroundings, shame it had to be occupied by people that weren't beautiful as it. Yosano had long taken off her heels, dancing in stilettos weren't good for the feet after all, thankfully it didn't seem like the other was bothered by the concept of barefoot dancing, on contrary, she had joined her, and now their bare feet were being frozen by the cold concrete. Although it was a welcome sensation given the rather humid air of the balcony, since when had it started getting so hot and humid, yosano was sure it wasn't this bad when they entered, she did want to retrieve her shoes so she didn't have to stand on the floor, but reluctance prevented her from disturbing the silence.
"Have you heard of the last dance?"
Oh never mind, she wasn't the one that disturbed it first, and since Akui was still looking out at the forest, yosano took the opportunity to sneak back to her shoes and slip them on, sneaking back to her spot just as Akui turned back.
"If you wanted to wear your shoes, you could have just gone and done it just now."
Ah she got caught, yosano was pretty sure her expression was akin to a deer caught in the headlights now, but she decided to just chuckle, hopefully diffusing some of the awkwardness.
"Well, no I haven't heard of it."
Tactic: subject change. Result: successful. Yosano sighed in relief when Akui dropped the subject of yosano and her barrier shoes and returned to whatever she had asked just now.
"It's a story my father once told me, sadly it's not very well known."
Yosano waited for her to elaborate, which she did look like she was going to, however, an untimely interruption cut their conversation short.
"Akui san!"
Turning around to face the newcomer, yosano only caught sight of a young boy with blond hair with a high probability of the one who was calling her new companion before a hand swiftly covered her eyes and something, a needle most likely, pierced the back of her neck.
"Wha-"
"Apologies, akiko san, but the conversation was enjoyable."
Thankfully, or rather not really, yosano passed out from whatever potent drug was thrown into her system before she had to deal with the horrible  pain of having a needle in your skin, especially when it was so deep and in the neck. (The one time I accidentally poked my wrist with embroidery needle-)
Her body dropped to the ground like a rag doll, akira watching the entire thing happen, wondering if he had been a bit early in reminding the lady of the plan she herself created.
"You're early, akira."
Yes indeed, he was early, however fortunately for him, she didn't appear to be irritated in her words, speaking as if she was just stating a fact.
"I couldn't find the bandaged mummy."
Only a low hum was given as a response, and he fidgeted as the needle that was still in yosano's neck glowed for a brief moment, the engravings that he had no idea how Akui had gotten on the small surface shining a bright gold before it dulled back to its initial silver again.
"You're not going to kill her?"
Yes, he was actually surprised about that, given the eye boggling kill count she proudly flaunted half the time and the other half being spent on increasing that count. Once again, he got no real reply, only a shrug as she pulled the needle out and whipped out a small metal box, placing the needle among its fellow relatives.
Walking over as she manuevered the unconscious woman into a sitting position, although she still looked akin to a limp rag doll slumped against the railing, he handed over the mask that he had snatched off the ground before that, taking extra care in not inhaling any of whatever weird poison she had coated it with. Just because she had injected them all with the respective antidote did not mean he couldn't take precautions after all.
In all honesty, he didn't even know what she was doing, but that also wasn't his problem. He was promised the book, she was promised his assistance, she required his help now, he would do so.
Simple as that, and if anyone caught him giving a sympathetic look towards the woman whose name he didn't even know, the only information he knew about her being she was part of the agency, well, it didn't matter anyways.
For all was for naught in front of the gods.
—————————————————————-
Wtf did I just write-