The Final Countdown (Chapter 24)

Well here are again

It's always such a pleasure

Btw, 12-13k words. To think I once averaged 7-8k per chapter, what a silly thought doing that now.

(also if you find anything that doesn't make sense / seems out of place then feel free to flag it, this thing's so long and I've spent so much time writing it that I honestly lack the will to proofread it for the millionth time over)

================================================================================

Toshiro admired the photo in his hand. It was truly a mark of how far he, and all the rest of them for that matter, had come.

When he arrived on this island, not so many months ago, he travelled to the Academy out of pure wanderlust and hope of finding a greater purpose. And looking back, while he certainly did not enjoy some of the experiences he'd been through on this adventure, the better moments shine contrarily like the sparkling stars in the sable sky above them.

From catching Satsuki's blade with himself and taking a hit meant for Ryuko, who he had at that point still known very little about, to playing the right hand to his partner in her quest to avenge her father, and now, standing side-by-side with allies new, old and unexpected, ready to face off against a common threat with Earth itself at stake.

'Guess that old brochure wasn't lying after all... Dad would be proud.' He mused to himself.

"Thank you for your help, Mr Soroi." He stretched his hand back out, offering the polaroid to the elderly butler. "I think it's best if you keep this safe with you for now. Besides, I think we'll all want copies for memories' sake once we're done with all this."

"Of course, Mr Matsuda." Soroi obliged these instructions, walking through a parted path by the Honnouji students, and disappearing as they returned to formation.

After watching this departure, Toshiro walked to his assigned position and stood next to the veteran gunman and his No.2 for the mission, Hol Horse. A meter away to their left, stood Satsuki and Ryuko, at each other's throats no longer and finally side-by-side stood as equals.

"You ready Toshiro?"

"Eh..." The boy shrugged his shoulders to Ryuko, thence casually adding on, "Guess we'll find out, now won't we?"

"Heh. Don't expect me to come and save your ass if you get in trouble." Ryuko shot at him with a toothy grin.

"Bien entendu - the same for you, my dear." Toshiro mirrored.

A pause divided the casual pre-battle atmosphere and the showdown itself, and when it resumed, shouts of uniform activation and stand summoning filled the air. Among the uproar, four voices rose higher than all the rest;

"LIFE FIBER SYNCHRONIZE: KAMUI SENKTSU / OVERRIDE: KAMUI JUNKETSU!"

"[SILVER CHARIOT]! / [EMPEROR]!"