A Game of Tennis (Chapter 3)

Toshiro once again woke up on his own accord, but instead of thinking of the tranquility of waking up like last morning, he immediately got up and began his morning activities. Ryuko, however, was still asleep. 

...

Until a certain brown-haired girl came in, that is.

"RYUKO! RYUKO! WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP!" Mako ran around the room like a headless chicken, as yesterday.

Making the most of the time he had left, Toshiro quickly weaved around Mako and into the kitchen, grabbing a piece of toast before he, Mako and the now awake Ryuko rushed out to school.

...

On their ascent, Toshiro noticed how Ryuko had looked interestedly at the differences in the housing 'levels' on the island, much as he had done on his arrival. Since Mako had fallen asleep on the way up, Toshiro felt he should explain the situation in her stead.

"You're wondering why the houses are tiered like that, right?" He inquired of her. 

"Well, duh. Ain't seen nothing like this in any other city I've been to." Ryuko replied bluntly.

"Remember yesterday, when we told you that the school's separated into four tiers, from No Star to Three Star?" Ryuko nodded, and he continued. "Well, similarly, each 'Star'-level gets its own housing tier. The quality of the house increases with star level, to the point where each Three Star place is basically a palace."

"So, your status at school determines where you live? Man, that's tough." Ryuko said, clenching her fists tight. "Makes me hate that Kiryuin bitch even more."

"I feel ya." The tram came to a stop. Their conversation had taken up the remaining journey, it seemed. "Well, here we are yet again at the world's cruellest school. C'mon Mako."

"Okay!" Mako jumped up with even a hint of being sleepy, and jumped off the tram.

'I swear, that girl is voice activated...'

The three walked into the school courtyard, headed to class for another few hours of Mikisugi rambling on about the Nazi Party. It remained mostly quiet between them until a memory suddenly clicked back into place in Mako's head.

"Oh, that reminds me! Ryuko, Mom said you-"

Before she could finish her sentence, she was hit directly in the face with a high speed tennis ball. And then another. And then a few dozen more. And yet she still continued talking, despite each volley leaving her more bruised than before.

 And yet she still continued talking, despite each volley leaving her more bruised than before

"-you can-"

"-stay with-"

"-us like-"

"-Toshiro! She's already filled out the paperwork!"

"Mako!" Toshiro grabbed Mako to prop her up, although to his surprise it didn't that she was too fazed. Apart from her face literally emitting smoke, that is.