The Music Of Nature

"Dude, I'm so sorry, I can't get my car to start, I'll have to bail," Carl's voice came out of my small, rectangular device sheepishly. The sound of the heavy rain and the strong wind could be heard in the background.

He's always bailing out on me or our friends whenever it rains, so often that I'm sure none of us want to call and check, but we know that wouldn't be right of us to leave him hanging.

I pressed the round, red button a little too harshly, leaving a smudge of my fingerprint that shone so vividly every once in a while due to the silent thunder.

I hit the gas paddle and drove forward, ready to slump on my bed as the tears of the sky ruined my plan to go to my father's lake house.

The highway was especially empty and quiet today, no sign of life, no other creature inhaling the same air as I in sight. The rain must have shooed away the deers and wild animals that wander close by the trees near the roads.

The raindrops hit hard on the roof of the car, slapping and slamming against the glass and slipping by the windows. It would have been a mess if I had my windows open for even a second longer.

I continued on forward looking around for a motel to reside in for now, but there weren't any nearby.

The light purple skies helped me notice a figure in the distance, small and frail, but definitely a human. I stepped on the breaks as I got nearer, perhaps whoever it was, must have gotten lost.

Soon the figure revealed a girl, perhaps in her early 20s or late teens. She had on a short sleeved purple t-shirt that had a lighter shade on the sleeves and a pair of loose, brown pants. How is she not cold?

It seemed as though the air was pushing and pulling her, by the way she seemed to move with the wind. Throughout all this, a smile remained evident on her face. Could she be dancing?

"Oy! Little girl, you will catch a hold out there!"  I exclaimed from within the car. She jumped, startled by my voice which then resulted to her turning around to face me, her hair being pushed against her face and behind her due to the wind; and on her face was an expression of a deer caught in headlights. Her face then quickly narrowed to a glare.

"Who are you calling little?! For your kind information, I am 23!"  she continued to glare at me. Crap, she's furious, and she's 23?! She looks 18!

"T-thats a compliment! I'm telling you that you look young!" I yelled back as I exited the car, desperate to rid her of her anger. An angry woman was one you should always avoid was what my father said.

An image of my father walking on eggshells came to mind. Mum was always upset when he'd stay out too late and miss dinner. He would sneak through the entrance, his footsteps light and sturdy. But mum would always be standing by the wall, glaring at the door that would soon turn to my father as he entered.

He would give her a sheepish smile as he rubbed the back of his head. 'Did I tell you that you look especially beautiful tonight?' he'd say something like that, which would get her flustered, momentarily making her not angry.

"Would you come closer? It's not fair that you get a clear view of me while I only see a silhouette since you are standing behind the headlights," she frowned, disturbing my nostalgic memory while also completely ignoring my earlier comment. At least, she didn't look as angry anymore. Not to make matters worse, I stepped out of my light shield and into her full view.

"Jordan?" she questioned in recognition. Was I supposed to know who she was? Panic surged within me as I desperately tried to recall ever seeing her face.

"Am I supposed to know you?"  I replied uncertainly, while rubbing the back of my head in an attempt to look funny, distracting her from her anger would benefit me greatly.