The Ballroom

Squirrels rustled through the bushes back up to their trees as the headlights of a limousine shone on them. Even with the whirring of the engine, the nightingales continued to sing, more louder even, as if the engine was a competition.

Jason Smith quickly checked himself on his hand glass, fixing his soft almond hair and brushing off creases from his shirt. He then exited his grand vehicle and entered through the big antique gates of the Jones Manor.

As he approached the large residence, he took note of the perfectly sized bushes and the vibrant flowers around. His pair of polished bluchers creaked under the smooth pebbled walkway

Upon entering the manor, he was greeted by a bright looking Valentino Jones, son of the late Vincent Jones and the owner of Jones Manor.

His curly, dark hair framed his yellowish face that seemed to glow brilliantly. He smiled yet again at Jason and begin a lovely conversation about family and life, only to be interrupted by slight coughing of a ravishing young woman clad in a pine green ball gown with a portrait neckline, that hugged her at the waist with very detailed lining of opal. Valerie Jones, sister to Valentino Jones and aunt to Vivian Jones, the sole reason of this marvelous ball.

Valerie briskly offered an apology and pulled her brother to a side, harshly whispering to him with a face that could scare off an army. Jason paid them no mind and headed off to his main destination, the main room of the party; the ballroom.

The thin walnut coloured doors of the ballroom was open wide, welcoming every guests with bright, white lights emitting from the two large golden chandeliers due to which the room gleamed a dazzling gold.

Soft chatters of the guests and light clinks of glasses flowed from every corner of the room. A crowd surrounded the table that held mouth-watering appetisers for the guests, briefly satisfying them before the great feast.

"Marquis Smith." greeted a man slightly older than Jason with a slight bow, initiating a light conversation. The marquis swiftly greeted back briskly mirroring a bow with a smile.

A tap to the shoulder interrupted Smith's second conversation of the night. Turning around, he was met with warm brown eyes looking down at him with adoration. The pair of beautiful eyes belonged to Laura Jones, wife of Valentino Jones and mother to Vivian, who for some reason hadn't shown up yet.

"Oh how you have grown!" Laura gushed, a proud smile sat on her round, red lips. Laura's attire consisted of a sleeveless, shimmering white figure-hugging dress that flowed out in a curl at the bottom, a thick, furry fabric draped over her shoulders, ending just below her hips in a thin strip. She had her hair down, with a small portion loosely braided with tiny white flowers as decoration.

"Mrs. Jones, pleasure to see you! You've gotten even more gorgeous since I last saw you." He smoothly replied, flashing her a childish grin. Laura was like a second mother to him; having always taken care of him and baking him his favourite sweets whenever his mother had to visit the hospital, which unfavourably was quite often.

"Oh, just Laura please, I see you've remained quite the charmer." She laughed lightly. Although he enjoyed seeing her after nearly a decade, his subconscious was lost somewhere else. Noticing the far away look in his chocolate eyes, Laura smirked.

"Vivian will be here soon, she had slight trouble with time you see." She smugly notified the dazed man. Snapping out of his trance, he grinned sheepishly and looked down embarrassed at how the older individual had read him like an open book. Despite the slight embarrassment, he was relieved to know that the girl.. no the young woman he had come to see would be in front of him soon.

"..... How's Jenna?" Laura asked after a quiet while. Hearing his mother's name, his head quickly snapped up, eyes locking with Laura, hazel against brown, eyes filled with pain, as he contemplated on how he should answer.

"She's..... Alright.. She will be, that's what the doctors said.." He replied in a small voice. The room suddenly seemed to have gone silent, the silence so loud, it was almost deafening. His eyes wondered from left to right, up and down, trying to figure out what caused this sudden quietness, until his gaze hit the stairwell.

There she stood, tall and strong, so elegant, yet shy. Her midnight blue gown extended an extra few inches behind her, while the front stopped at her ankles, showing off her shimmery black heeled boots. The dress was tightened at the waist with a golden ribbon, the top with a sweetheart neckline outlined with a dark shade of gold, and puffy princess sleeves that ended at her upper arms. She wore elbow-length gloves of a lighter shade of blue. She wore her hair up in an elegant bun with a few strands curled down on the left. She smiled at her mother as she slowly descended the steps.

A nudge from Laura broke Jason from his daydream of the angelic figure before him and he quickly made his way to the steps, reaching his hand out to her with a slight bow. She put her hand in his with a small smile, using her other hand to slightly lift her gown as to not get caught in them as she stepped down the stairs.

The rest of the night was spent with smiles and laughter, their hands clasped together, not ready to ever let go again.

---------------------------------------

Author's Note

Thank you for reading The Ballroom. I got the idea and image for this description around the beginning of last year, the first thing I had in mind was Vivian's dress, although I had imagined it a little different, I am satisfied with how this has turned out.

I decided to give a little information about this... So basically the ball is held for Vivian Jones as mentioned in the text, this was for her 25th birthday night, and many people from around the country had come to visit as she finally reached the age of marriage(in my made up world of course😅)

Jason and Vivian were childhood friends, he would visit her often due to his mother, Jenna being sick and unable to care for him. Laura and Jenna were friends too and so naturally their children became friends.

Jason always had the slight bit of feelings for Vivian, but he kept silent in fear that he would ruin their friendship. Around the age of 13-14, Jason had to move away to another country for his mother's treatment and he lost contact with Vivian. Many years later, he received an invitation to this ball from Valentino Jones, who had searched for him till the long and late hours of the night. Valentino was aware of Jason's feelings and he thought that Jason was the perfect fit for his daughter. He also knew that Vivian would be happy to see an old friend again.

I am really very sorry if there are any grammatical errors, if you happen to find any, please let me know. If you happen to have any advice to make my writing better, I'd be happy to listen!

Please don't forget to comment and vote.