Chapter Forty Three: Travel

That night, I snuck out of the portrait. I made my way to the greenhouse without getting caught. Since Vixen was with Charlie in the infirmary, I didn't have to worry about what was going to happen next. I stood in the greenhouse and it meant nothing to me anymore. I began to throw the pillows and bed across the room. I screamed and cried. I broke my pots and tore my plants. Someone was behind me but I fell to my knees and looked at my hands. Both of them had a scar across the palm. I screamed and cried, putting my hands to my head. Whoever was behind me stayed there until I passed out.

         It was still dark when I opened my eyes. I was sitting on the ground but I was leaning back on someone. I looked and someone's legs were outside of mine. My arms felt heavy and there were arms around my stomach. I recognized the smell of grass.

          "Ron?" I asked weakly.

          He sighed and his breath tickled the back of my neck, "Hey, Kitty."

          We remained in the same position and talked.

          "Ron, how did you know?" I asked.

          His hands moved to bring my hair behind me, "George told me when he found you in our fourth year. I was worried about you. You blame yourself and it wasn't like you to ask me for help. Especially Ginny."

          I exhaled sharply, "You found me."

          His hands ran down my arms, "I did. Hands."

          I nodded and he brought up my hands to see my palms.

          "Kitty, everything thinks you used the Forgetfulness charm. No one uses this kind of magic," he said softly.

          I felt tears escaping, "No one is like me. Ron, I'm so sorry about Charlie. And Bill. And Fred."

          He shushed me and brought my arms down but continued to hold my hands, "I knew you were with Draco. I didn't like it but you had this planned out. I trust you. You're always so headstrong. What happened?"

          I leaned my head back against his shoulder, his mouth was by my ear, "I planned this since the end of fifth year. I knew he was a Death Eater within the first month of school this year. You can imagine how. The rumours are true. We loved each other. I promise you that we broke up though. Right after we broke up, I.."

          His lips moved against my ear, "Let me see your wand, Mei."

          I gave it to him. It was soaked in my blood twice. It was practically unrecognizable and it was so heavy now. I never imagined this is what my life would be once I left America. 

          He tried to use it, "Lumos."

          Nothing happened.

          He gave it back to me, "You planned this for so long, Kitty. You sacrifice so much to protect the people you love. Then you break up with Draco. After Cedric and Sirius, you changed. Handling loss isn't your strength. You're quick to love and trust but.."

          My hands went to the outer sides of his legs, "But?"

          He sighed and his arms went around my waist again, "You can't take away the love people have of you. That was selfish, Mei. What if they wanted their memories? Did you think about what would happen if they ever got it back?"

          My tears fell onto Ron's arm, "Their lives are the reason why I'm here today. If my life is the reason why they lose theirs, then I won't be a part of it."