Chapter Five: Perform

I was changing from my usual clothes into tonight's attire. The house elves were most excited to have me sing instead of them, and they were looking forward to my singing tonight after hours of practice. Isaac wasn't allowed backstage and hasn't seen my outfit yet. I slipped on the silver dress and there was a high slit that nearly exposed my entire left leg. The heels were also silver. I wore no jewellery but the elves insisted on curling my hair. My hair was significantly shorter when it was curled and bounced with every step I took. The elves also did my makeup and told me how beautiful I was for someone so young. I knew I had to play up the act of being at least 21. I was almost 16 and took some tips on what adults do. I applied a temporary tattoo of a rose on its stem on my right forearm and I applied a temporary tattoo of an owl that resembled Midnight on my left outer ankle. I rehearsed the song with the elves and they encouraged me that I was ready. I took a deep breath and headed to the stage.

          (Jessica Rabbit 'Why don't you do right'  performance inspired but to Michael Bubblé's 'Feeling good' ) I stepped onto the stage with the curtains closed in front of me

          (Jessica Rabbit 'Why don't you do right' performance inspired but to Michael Bubblé's 'Feeling good' ) I stepped onto the stage with the curtains closed in front of me. Isaac hasn't seen me and I was looking forward to his review after the job. My excitement was also making me nervous but I was eager to work like an agent. I nodded to the band beside me and it was time.

          I held my wand to my throat to project my voice once the band started, "Birds flying high, you know how I feel. Sun in the sky, you know how I feel. Breeze driftin' on by, you know how I feel. It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life."

          The spotlight behind me illuminated my silhouette against the curtain, receiving many whistles from the audience. There were a lot more people than I expected. Trying to stay calm, I focused on the song and how much Isaac was depending on me. I turned around and got an idea.

          "For me, and I'm feeling good," I stuck my left leg out of the curtain to expose my full skin and received many lewd comments when the instrumental hit.

          Then I swayed my hip through the motion to step out fully as the curtains were drawn back. The lights were so bright and I was stunned for a moment. There were so many people here. I heard many more compliments.

          "I'm feeling good," I made my way to the stage left wall while holding my wand to my throat, "Fish in the sea, you know how I feel. River running free, you know how I feel. Blossom on a tree, you know how I feel. It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life."

          I stood with my back arched against the wall. My heart was pounding and I knew I was starting to sweat. I couldn't see the target from this part of the stage. I have to find him.

          "For me," I sang, I slid down the wall slightly so that my dress would drag the slit higher, receiving many whistles.

          I couldn't see Isaac when I scanned the audience. I began to panic when all I saw were eyes on me. The target wasn't seated at any of the tables near me. He's probably hiding.

          "And I'm feeling good," I made my way back towards centre stage.

          I found the target watching from the bar stools. He's in the shadows but he was watching me. Now, where was Isaac? I kept moving and smiled politely at the men staring at me.

          "Dragonfly out in the sun, you know what I mean, don't you know, Butterflies all havin' fun, you know what I mean. Sleep in peace when day is done, that's what I mean. And this old world is a new world, and a bold world," I used my right foot to lift the back of my dress on my left calf and saw Isaac at the edge, "For me. For me."

          I took Isaac's hand when I took the steps down. He looked entranced and I made my way to the target at the bar. I touched the men against their chests as I walked past them. The target gave me his hand so that I could sit on the bar table, his jaw slightly dropped open.

          "Stars when you shine, you know how I feel. Scent of the pine, you know how I feel. Oh, freedom is mine. And I know how I feel. It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life. It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life. It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life. It's a new life, for me," I leaned into the target standing beside me, "And I'm feeling," I took his tie and pulled him nearly into a kiss, our lips barely brushing against each other. I sang the next word and pulled away from him at the same time, "good."

          I made my way back to the stage. Finally, I'm practically done. I tilted my head towards the bar when I approached Isaac. He nodded when I was within arm's reach.

          "I'm feeling good. I feel so good," Isaac offered his hand again and I took it to step back up to the stage, "I feel so good."

          I kept my back to the audience once on stage and looked to my left at the stage right wall as the curtain closed behind me as the band got softer into silence. There was a massive applause and many whistles when the curtains closed. Once the lights went off, I nearly collapsed and I was panting. This occupation is definitely not for me.