57 | magic bleach

"Hey Layla, how you holding up?" Luna asks her softly, entering her dorm to find Layla stuck in bed, cuddled up under her duvet. "I bought you snacks."

Layla smiles, knowing that Luna will always be there for her, but seeing her made her a little upset too because she knows she's been quite distant with her - not on purpose of course, it was just because of all the missions and training and everything that's been going on.

"Hey Luna, thank you so much." Layla smiles, as Luna sits on the edge of her bed, passing her the snacks.

Layla sits up, and Luna looks at her face, noticing the dried up tears and mascara, as well as her messy hair.

"Layla, you know you can talk to me about anything, right?" She says sweetly and Layla nods.

"Of course I know that, you're my best friend... but I'm really sorry that I've been distant with you. I don't know what has gotten into me... I guess I've just been really busy and there hasn't been much time for us to hang out." Layla explains.

"Don't worry, I understand." She smiles. "Now I'm guessing those tears are because of Mattheo?"

"How did you know?" Layla laughs.

"I've noticed that there's been something going on between you two. Whether there has or hasn't - that I'm not sure of - but I'm sure that you two have some sort of special connection, or chemistry. What's up with that?"

"Wow, you're really good at reading people." Layla asks.

"One of my talents." Luna smiles.

"Well... I guess there's always been a mutual attraction between me and Mattheo... but we've never been friends. I don't know, what was the point..."

"What was the point of being just friends when you both knew that there was something more already there?" Luna finishes Layla's sentence off, and she gasps.

"God Luna, I think you're right." Layla laughs. "And now... now I think I've ruined it? Even though there wasn't even anything there? I don't know... he's just so confusing and it really irritates me!"

"I think you and him need to talk."

"I can't..."

I can't be seen with him. The facade is still on... Spector can't see me and him together.

"Why not?"

"It's just... I don't know Luna I don't think he's right for me." Layla sighs, rubbing her face. "I don't know why I've been crying either... there's just been a lot going on lately."

Like almost getting choked to death two times by two different guys. And then my boyfriend and his parents get killed and now the person they worked for joins Hogwarts and now I work for him. Supposedly. And now I'm having boy problems with the one and only Mattheo fucking Riddle.

Very fucking eventful.

"Honestly Layla, if there's one thing that I've learned in my short lifetime... is that problems always come and go. No matter what the case. Time is precious, but time solves everything. So don't worry about it, because whatever you're going through... it will pass Layla. I promise you."

Layla looks at her bestfriend, feeling so comforted by her words.

"You give the best advice Luna. I love you." Layla says, pulling Luna in for a hug.

"Knock knock." Blaise says, opening the door to Layla's dorm, to find Luna and Layla hugging. "Aw can I join?"

"Sorry Blaise, but no." Luna giggles.

"Heyy!" He groans. "Anyway, the party in the Gryffindor common room starts in like thirty minutes. Just thought I'd remind you guys."

"Oh god." Layla groans. "I completely forgot."

I'm glad I forgot. But now, the thoughts of spending the whole party with Spector really pisses me off. Along with Riddle being there too of course.

It's going to be worse now. He flipped out just seeing Spector sitting next to me so... god knows what's going to happen at the party.

"We better get ready." Luna sighs. "I'll see you at the party Layla, I've got to go back to my dorm."

"Okay see ya."

With that, Blaise and Luna leave Layla and she lazily gets out of bed and heads to her closet, deciding what to wear for the party.

"Fuck it. I'm gonna bleach my hair."

Layla stands in front of her mirror, and decides to bleach a couple of strands of her hair blonde. It was a bold move, but a bold move that had to be made.

She only has thirty minutes to get ready, but with Layla's powers, she could get ready with a click of a finger. So that's what she does, she takes a few strands of her hair and uses her powers to turn them blonde, and curl them too.

When she takes a look at her hair, she's amazed by the outcome, and feels slightly more confident about going to this stupid welcome party.

She picks out a simple black mini dress, and does her makeup lightly, making sure to do a cat eye with her eyeliner.

And she was ready. Ready for Spector's welcome party.

 Ready for Spector's welcome party

It's time to fucking do this.

As Layla is making her way down to the common room, she finds herself alone with Mattheo, one of the last people she wants to see tonight. She attempts to walk past him and out of the common room, but he stops her, holding her by the arm.

"Layla-"

She doesn't say anything, but instead just stands there, not looking up at him.

"I just wanted to tell you... your ring. It has that shield on it remember? So if Spec- Henry Peters tries anything... you'll be safe."

She takes a deep breath, still not looking up at him because she knows that if she does, she's going to fall for his pretty face.

"That's all I had to say." He clears his throat, moving away from her and putting his hands in his pockets.

She walks out of the common room, playing with the ring she still has on her ring finger, the one that Mattheo gave to her.

She's never taken it off since.

The ring... why hadn't I thought I'd that before? Mattheo reminding me of that shield might just save my life tonight in case things get out of hand.

And trust me, I'm sure they will.