Chapter 31: Is it my fault?

Beginne am Anfang

"I don't want to be the reason why they split up." Rose mumbles and I feel my heart get heavy again at her sad tone.

"You are not the reason they split up, sweetheart. Sometimes it doesn't work out between parents and they split up. None of this is because of you. They both love you a lot. And I can't speak for your Dad but your Mom loves you with all her heart and would do anything for you. She was just mad at your father because she doesn't like it when he disappoints you, she wants to protect you from feeling sad, you know?" I explain further, hoping to take the thought of it all being Rose's fault away from her because it isn't.

"Are you sure she wasn't mad at me?" Rose asks, doubt in her voice and I open my arms for her to cuddle into.

"Yes, I am very sure. It isn't your fault that your Dad couldn't pick you up or that your Mom's schedule is busy. She still loves you just as much as before and nothing can change that." I assure Rose and she slowly nods, taking in my words.

"You really think so?" She asks, a bit of hope swaying in her voice.

"I know so." I say and bop her nose, making her smile a little.

"Okay." She agrees with my words and leans a little more into me.

"Do you think my Dad loves me too?" She asks after a bit of silence and looks up at me. I breathe in and look down at her.

"I am sure he does." I say.

Since I don't know that guy, I can't actually know but I am pretty sure he loves his daughter, even though he might not show it very well. Speaking for Scarlett was easier because I know that she loves her daughter more than anything in the world but I don't know about her ex-husband.

"Sometimes it doesn't feel like it." Rose states quietly and I wrap my arms a little tighter around her, trying to give her comfort.
"A lot of times he doesn't even have time for me on the weekends. And when I'm there, he often still has work to do. It's not like he doesn't spend any time with me, it's just not a lot and when he does, he is tired from work. Sometimes he takes me on trips though, those are fun because he doesn't have to work on them. But that's rare." Rose tells me while playing with Mr. Mouve.

I feel this anger towards her father rise up again because I hate seeing Rose sad because of this. It really seems to hurt her, which I totally understand, I just wish I could do something to help her.

"Yeah, I understand that that makes it hard to believe but I am still sure he loves you. After all, you are his daughter and such a wonderful person to be around. He'd be crazy if he wouldn't love you." I assure her, making Rose smile up at me. My words seem to ease her and I'm glad I can give her some comfort.

"Then his new girlfriend is crazy." Rose decides, making me frown a little.
Not because she calls her dad's new girlfriend crazy but because of the definition we just put on that word.

"She's crazy because you feel like she doesn't love you?" I ask carefully, not wanting to upset Rose with my question. She nods and shifts in my lap to look at me.

"I don't think she likes me. She never draws or plays with me and sometimes she rolls her eyes at me when I'm goofing around." Rose explains her reason.

I slowly nod, fighting the urge to want to punch that woman. It's one thing to not want to play with your boyfriend's daughter but it's a different thing to roll your eyes at a child who is just being itself, especially in their company.

"I'm sorry she makes you feel this way, Rose." I say, since there is not a lot more I can say to that matter.

I can't contact Rose's father to tell him to talk to his girlfriend about this because I'm not involved in this family. Maybe Scarlett could talk to him.
Rose shrugs her shoulders, not seeming bothered a lot by that anymore.