22. unplanned rescue mission

"So

"So..." Eddie quietly says, Clemency looked at, confused. "So?" There is an awkward silence shared between the two even though they stuck closely to each other as they followed Dustin to wherever his little compass will take them. Clemency did not say anything, but kept holding his arm with her left and kept squeezing his arm, and he watched her as she did so, grinning at the sight.

As night time finally came, and they seemed to be getting closer to their destination, Dustin suddenly ran, Eddie and Clemency looked at each other, just as confused as the others, and ran after Dustin. "Dustin? Can you slow down? Dustin?" Eddie called out as he followed the boy, while the rest of the group followed after.

"I think we're getting close." Dustin said, not realizing the body of water before him, due to the darkness, Eddie suddenly grabbed the kid, and quickly pulled him back, preventing him from falling. "Watch your step, big guy."

"Oh man... You gotta be shitting me..." Steve agitatedly says, looking around them, realizing they had been led to Lover's lake. "Yeah, I thought these woods were familiar." Eddie says, as Clemency sighed, looking at him, and realized something.

"Wait- could this mean, the gate is, you know, where Patrick died? Maybe?" Clemency asked, and Nancy looked at her. "Could be. Whenever the Demogorgon attacked, it always left an opening..." Nancy informed, looking at her sister. "Maybe Vecna could do the same too..." Clemency added, as Nancy nodded in agreement.

The group got a boat, and as Eddie and Steve held it, Robin, Nancy, and Clemency went on the boat. Robin went and grabbed on both the boy's hair and stepped in. Eddie went into the boat and reached his hand for Nancy, then eventually to Clemency. "My lady." Eddie says, but furrowed his eyebrows as he noticed her shaky hands that held onto his, but shrugged it off for now when Dustin approached the boat and Eddie immediately stopped him as only four people could come along. Trying to argue his way, Nancy just asked for the compass.

Steve suddenly threw Dustin's bag at him, pushed the boat, and suddenly rode with the other four, leaving Dustin with a look of disbelief in his face. "You said four." Dustin yelled back, feeling betrayed, as Steve apologized to him.

‧₊˚

While Robin and Eddie paddled their way to the middle of the lake, Clemency fidgeted as she looked around them, Nancy and Steve watched the compass, and got surprised when it suddenly started spinning like crazy, as Nancy urged the two to stop paddling, and looked at Nancy. Dustin went and talked to them through the radio, and Robin told him about the compass.

Steve started removing his socks, and the other four looked at him, confused. "Somebody's gotta go down there and check this thing out. Unless one of you can top being a Hawkins High swim co-captain and a certified lifeguard for three years, then... it's gotta be me. No complaints? All right." Steve informed, as Clemency looked in grimace at him, as Steve stood on the boat. "Hey, I'm not complaining. I do not wanna go down there." Eddie says. As Steve took off his shirt, Nancy looked at him, while Robin smiled proudly, but Clemency gave her sister a disapproving look, startling her as she realized she was watching. Eddie grabbed a plastic and removed its contents and wrapped the flashlight with it, and gave it to Steve.