Chapter 1

Vivian was sitting outside on the bench on her grandma's porch. She was eating an ice popsicle while watching a video on her phone, feeling bored.

"Vivian, come help me carry these," she faintly heard her grandma say over the noise. She finished her ice popsicle and threw the popsicle stick away, entering the house to help her grandma. She avoided the movers going in and out of the house and saw her grandma in the living room with a bunch of bags.

"Be careful," Vivian heard her grandma say. She nodded once and noiselessly took the pieces of luggage and carried them outside the house. Her grandma, while still energetic, needed to move around with a cane which isn't ideal for handling oversized carry-ons.

A truck and a black car were waiting outside, where the movers loaded the remaining furniture into the truck. The driver saw Vivian approach the vehicle with the luggage and open the trunk, letting her put the bags inside.

"Miss Hua, we should leave now," the driver said as the movers closed the truck's rear doors. Vivian looked around and saw no furniture left and nodded once, going inside the house to assist her grandma. They came out, entered the car, and left the village.

Vivian, along with her grandma and her father, moved to the province far from the city when she was only two years old. Vivian was born quiet. She didn't cry when her mother gave birth to her, which made her parents worried but happy because they thought they wouldn't be stressed out like other parents.

After almost a year after her birth, Vivian was still quiet, which started to unnerve her mother. Her mother thought there was something wrong with Vivian, questioning why she seemed unfeeling rather than smiling and laughing like other children her age. Her father then calmed her mother down back then, saying that he was also similar to Vivian back when he was a kid and that she must have taken after him in that sense.

Vivian's mother accepted this reason and continued to live her life as usual. Still, with Vivian's father getting busier with his job as time passed and mostly leaving her to care for Vivian, Vivian's mom couldn't avoid having an affair to relieve herself from her growing resentment.

Less than two months before Vivian turned 2, Vivian's father discovered the affair and was devastated. He also found out that she was going to the other man's house more to play and was neglecting to take care of Vivian.

Vivian's mother then took advantage of the situation to separate from her husband. The other man she saw was more prosperous and handsome than her husband. He was also a widow with a cute and energetic daughter the same age as Vivian. The man had taken a liking to her when he saw her sitting at a coffee shop drinking coffee a few months ago.

While Vivian's father was working overtime at his company to bring home the bacon, her mother was flirting and having fun outside to the point where she had started to form a deeper bond with the other man's daughter than her own.

Vivian's father thought for a few days before giving in to the separation, and a month later, they both signed the divorce papers. Within that month, Vivian's mother had packed her things up to move in with the wealthy man and his family, while her father had resigned from his work and prepared their things to move back to his home where he grew up.

As a kid, Vivian's memories of this part of her childhood were not very clear, but she could faintly remember the clamor that occurred between their parents and the sad face her father put on for months after they left the city.

With the help of the wealthy widow, the annulment process was quicker, and their marriage was officially annulled just days before Vivian, and her father left the city.