Chapter 40 // the serum

Day thirty nine

Tuesday

"We compared Miss Smith's blood with Mr

"We compared Miss Smith's blood with Mr. Barnes' blood and we found out she is also carrying the super soldier serum." The doctor informed us directly after he walked through the door. I could already tell by his expression that he was not bringing any good news today.

"Fuck!" I scream as I throw my chair onto the ground. It directly breaks causing the doctor to flinch by my eruption. Steve directly lays his hand onto my shoulder to calm me down but it doesn't help this time. Her body isn't strong enough to accept the serum and it scares the shit out of me. I can't and won't lose her.

"Is she fighting the serum?" I ask in a panic and the doctor flinsh again by the way I raise my voice. Steve squeezes my shoulder but I don't pay attention to him as I wait for an answer. The doctor swallows the lump in his throat before looking at the papers in his hand.

"Y-yes and no. She wouldn't be alive right now if it wasn't for the serum after the cardiac arrest she had yesterday. You can resuscitate someone for a long time, but your brain can only go 7 to 10 minutes without oxygen. After those minutes the person is declared brain dead, even if you bring their heart rate back after 40 minutes the person remains brain dead. But that didn't happen to Miss Smith. Her brain is still intact and we think the serum kept her brain safe." The doctor explains.

"That's good, right?" Steve wonders out loud. The doctor doesn't reply and I take the time to let his words in before I start asking stupid questions. "If the serum kept her alive then why do you think she is also fighting it?" I ask.

"Her body isn't healing how it should be. The wound on her head is still bleeding after 3 days and it wasn't even that deep. Her weight is still not coming back, not even after the fluids we're giving her. As long her ribs won't heal like they should she will not be able to breath on her own. The longer she breathes via the breathing machine the more difficult it gets to get her off the machine. And she is starting to get an infection around her gunshot wound on her belly." The doctor informs me.

"That doesn't sound good." Steve comments and he is lucky I didn't slap him across the face. "It isn't." The doctor says with pity in his eyes.

"So what can we do to help her? Her body needs to accept the serum otherwise she will die." I say while I sit next to Ally and lay my hand onto hers. She is still so cold. "And I don't want you to die." I whisper so only Ally would hear it.

"We wait." The doctor replies and my head directly turns towards him causing him to gulp. Wait? What for a stupid idea is that?

"That is your plan? Waiting until she is dead? She is in fucking pain and you are just going to wait!?" I say angry as I step towards the doctor. He nervously takes a few steps back until his back hits the wall behind him causing his eyes to go wide.

"T-there i-is nothing w-we can do. I-I am s-sorry Mr. B-barnes." The doctor stutters as he looks between me and Steve, asking for his help. "Buck." Steve warns and I back away from the doctor causing him to sigh in relief.

I sit back down next to Allison and only give my attention to her while Steve talks with the doctor. I shut them out and only focus on Ally's fragile body. "I am sorry, doll." I whisper as the first tear rolls down my cheek and lands onto Ally's hand. I quickly rub it away afraid it would hurt her, afraid that I would hurt her more than I already did.

"I promise we will keep an eye on her. We just need to wait to see if her body accepts it or fights it. I am really sorry we can't do more." The doctor apologizes again before he leaves the room, closing the door behind him.

Steve sits back down and I just wished he would go away and leave me alone with Allison. This can be my last days with her and I can't even hold her. I can't see her beautiful hazel eyes where I get lost in or her beautiful smile that would light up my whole world. I can't even say goodbye if she wouldn't make it and that breaks my heart the most. I don't even think she heard me say 'I love you' after she closed her eyes and that will haunt me forever.

"She is strong, Buck. There is still a chance her body will accept it and you know it." Steve breaks the silence trying to comfort me but I just want to be alone with my Ally.

"I don't want her body to accept it, Steve." I say honestly as I make eye contact with him and he gives me a shock expression. "Ever since Hydra injected me with the serum my life has been a living hell. I don't want that for her. I don't want her to lose herself in the darkness. I want her to stay the Ally that we all know, kind and loving and carring. How much I love her and want her to wake up.. I hope with everything in my heart that her body doesn't accept it but still fights to stay alive."

1 month later

Allison is doing better. The wound on her head healed completely, she is back to her normal weight, the infection around her wound went away before it caused any more damage to her body and her ribs finally healed. That's why they're going to get her off the ventilator to see if she would be able to breathe on her own again. This all means her body accepted the serum and in a way I am relieved she is doing better but I really hoped the serum went away in a miracle way.

"So what is about to happen is that we are going to take Miss Smith off the ventilator. Sometimes it can take a few seconds before her body responds but as soon as we notice her heart rate is going down way too fast we will attach her back to the ventilator." The doctor informs me, Steve and Wanda. We all nod in understanding and the doctor takes it as a good-to-go.

"Okay 3, 2, 1." The doctors get her off the ventilator and I directly see her heart rate go down. I look at her chest to see if it makes any movements but nothing happens. C'mon Ally, you can do this! Just fucking breath.

Her heartbeat keeps slowing down causing me to panic. I want to walk up to the doctors but Wanda stops me. "Wait." She whispers. I look back to the screen and see her heart rate go up again. I quickly looked back at her chest and I think I saw it moving.

"She is breathing on her own!" The doctor informs us and I sigh from relief. Suddenly without a warning Wanda wraps her arms around me from relief. I don't hug her back because I don't want to feel a body around mine if it isn't Allison.

"Shit, I am sorry." Wanda apologizes quietly as she starts to release me but before she can step away I surprisingly hug her back and it felt good. This is a good day and we should be grateful that Allison is back breathing. Steve joins the hug and Wanda is sandwiched between us.

"I need oxygen." Wanda jokes and we break the hug as we all chuckle while happy tears stream down our cheeks. It feels weird to feel good after a long time. I hope other better days will follow soon and hopefully she will wake up soon and back into my arms.

Come soon back to me, doll.

Word count: 1409

I have a little writer block so I am not really satisfied with this chapter but you all deserved some good news about Ally, so here you go :)