Chapter 3 // first incident

Day three

Monday

Allison takes a shower and puts a black dress on

Allison takes a shower and puts a black dress on. When she steps out of her bedroom she looks at the way the kitchen and the living room were filled with silence and were empty like always.

Allison was already bored and decided to bake cookies. She tries to take the baking powder from the top shelf. She is not that tall, so when she tried to grab it it fell to the ground. The ground was all white from the baking powder. She started looking in every cabinet for the vacuum cleaner but couldn't find it. She walks up to James' bedroom door and knocks on it softly.

No response.

Allison opens the door but no one is in the room. She takes this opportunity to observe his room. His bed wasn't as big as hers, he had a twin-sized bed, his walls were black and his windows were covered with black curtains. James' bedroom was the exact opposite of her own. Everything in it was black and dark. Allison wanted to walk in but then felt a breath in her neck.

Shit.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" James asks, really angry.

Allison's heart thudded with adrenaline in her chest as she turned around and met James' angry eyes.

"James." she said, he immediately heard the shakiness in her voice. "I didn't mean to! I dropped the baking powder and wanted to ask you-" Allison gasped in shock as his metal fingers snatched around her throat.

James brought his face closer to hers. "Did you forget my first rule?" He asks really angry.

Her throat felt so small in his huge hand. He could break her neck in one snap if he wanted, but he didn't. Instead he watched her eyes turn from nervous to scared in a split second once she realized he wasn't letting go of her throat.

"James, I-I am sorry." Allison says with the air she has left while she gasped her hands around his metal one. "I-I can't breathe, p-please."

"Don't ever come into my room again, because next time it will not end well!" James says still angry as he released his grip on her throat.

Allison runs away while holding her throat and locks herselfs up in her room. She wanted to be as far away from James as possible. This was the first time she feared James.

Allison goes to her bathroom and watches her throat in the mirror. She could already see the bruises forming on it. She started crying and it was like everything happened all over again, she felt like she couldn't breath. Her throat hurts really bad when she tries to catch her breath again.

James could hear her crying and gasping for air all the way to his room. He felt guilt building up but pushed that feeling fast away and started listening to music.

 He felt guilt building up but pushed that feeling fast away and started listening to music

Steve's words kept coming back into my mind. "You need to promise me if anything happens, if he hurts you.. you call me immediately and I'll get you out of here!"

I don't want to give up on James. He has been locked up in this place for 3 years already. He deserves help and freedom again.

But since James told me he killed his last therapist I have been starting to doubt my decision to stay here. I first thought that he only told me that to scare me away but since he hurt me I really think he killed him.

Which honestly surprises me, because James and the winter soldier are two different persons or at least that is what I thought. Maybe a part of the winter soldier, the kill instinct, stays.

In the end I decided to go see Steve. I took the elevator upstairs and knocked quietly on his office door.

"Come in." I hear Steve say from the other side of the door. I open the door and I know there is no way back as soon Steve sees my bruises.

"Oh no." Steve says in a panic as he stands up from his chair. He quickly came my way and let me sit on one of the chairs in front of his desk.

"I am so sorry Allison. We really thought he wouldn't hurt a woman but we were wrong." Steve apologizes as he examines my bruises.

"Does it hurt a lot?" He asks worriedly and I only nod because I can't speak.

Steve gives me a guilty look before he takes an ointment from his cabinet. "This will help against the pain."

I could read all the guilt and anger in Steve's eyes and I am doubting if I did the right thing. Maybe I should have stayed downstairs and given James another chance. But maybe I could have been dead by tomorrow.

"Can I?" Steve asks as he puts ointment on his finger and I nod. He puts it on my throat and I whine from the pain. Making me realize that James was really close to killing me.

"You made the right choice to come to me, doctor." Steve asures me as he could read the doubt on my face.

"I-is it true t-that he killed his l-last therapist?" I barely get out by the pain.

"Yes, you were his last chance. From now on Stark and Fury are taking over." Steve informs me and now I am feeling guilty. Maybe I should have given him another chance..

"Did Bucky told you that? Because we made sure no articles came out about the dead therapist." Steve asks and I nod my head.

Despite all the anger that fills his eyes I could still see them lit up when I nodded my head.

"Why?" I ask once Steve is done with my throat. There is a reason why his eyes filled with hope for a moment.

"You are the first therapist he ever talked to in 3 years." Steve informs me and now I understand. Before I can ask more Steve opens his office door.

"I am going to pack your stuff. I don't want you to go downstairs again." I nod and Steve leaves.

Do I really want to leave?

Word count: 1046