CHAPTER 79

A few weeks later, people still went missing and the gangs were searching for them. Renee's parents called me and asked about their daughter and I told them she went missing.

I did feel guilty when lying like that but I couldn't tell them the truth. It would hurt them more than they imagined. Like it hurt me. Same with Tessa's parents, they asked me the same thing and I answered the same thing.

My life got better, just like Nyx said. Speaking of which, she got a permanent job in a cat café near our apartment. Sometimes she brought me there so I could play with the cats and release my stress.

Maya was still working between jobs but that was because she was used to it. She felt strange if she didn't work often. She got bored if she just sitting around doing nothing.

Me on the other hand, finally opened up about my past to Maya and Nyx. At first, they were shocked to see how much I had been through over the years. They supported me and made sure I was doing fine. I stopped taking medicine because I got better for real this time. Also, I went to therapy sessions because of my PTSD. I thought it was just a part of the grieving process.

That day after the therapy session, I went to the cat café and played with the cats. I didn't know I was smiling the whole time. Nyx, who was sitting in front of me, took pictures.

"Nyx!" my face almost explode and her reaction didn't help at all.

"Aww. You look cute when you smile. I'm happy, though. You smile more these days."

"I smile all the time."

"No, first few days here, you didn't smile or laugh that much. Even Quinn told me you rarely smile. You've turned cold but I like that. You make my heart explode in a good way."

"Nyx Parker," I leaned forward. "You're a one cheesy person," I gave her a playful punch on her arm.

That night, we had dinner around the table as a family. Nyx lived with us so she didn't have to go back and forward.

I helped her make her iconic apple pie and a few dishes she learned recently. Once we all gathered around the table, I took a slice of that pie and shoved it into my mouth.

"Wow!" Maya exclaimed. "This is a real deal, I'll tell you."

Nyx laughed when watching us, "Glad you guys like it. I have a day off tomorrow. Want to do something fun, just the three of us?"

I glanced at Maya because she was the busiest among us.

"Sure, why don't we go to the new museum?" She suggested. "They have a grand opening tomorrow and I think Hope will love it."

"Oh, yes, please," I cheered.

Man, I learned about a lot of things from that dark experience. Sometimes life surprises us with unexpected events. People deal with them in their own ways. I deal with them in my own way even though I'm not proud of it. But it's still me and I need to accept myself like the way Maya and Nyx accept me.