CHAPTER 47

I woke up early that morning. I could barely sleep because I was thinking about going home. I took a shower and put on some comfy clothes as I was about to meet Maya. I even brushed my hair and tucked the side behind my ears.

Dolion told me yesterday to wait for him so he could apply ointments on my wrists. He offered to do something so, I didn't refuse. I took my time wandering around his house. He even insisted I move my legs more often. I didn't use my legs for a long time, that was the reason they were weak.

As I ambled between rooms, I tripped on something and fell. With my knees in pain, I brought them closer to my chest as I hissed in pain. What was that anyway? I should look at where I was going.

One of the wooden planks appeared odd. The color was different; darker than the rest of them. With my strength, I put my finger underneath it and pulled. After a few tries, I managed to open it. It left some marks on my fingers, but I didn't mind it though.

It appeared like there was some space underneath this wooden floor. Lights from the ceiling helped me a bit. I put my arms in between the wooden planks as support and brought my face closer.

Suddenly, a head rolled in front of my eyes. A human head; a woman, to be exact. Her hair was pulled out, her scalp was covered in dried blood. I didn't know if the head was attached to the body or what because of the limited view. I couldn't look away even if I wanted to. My arms were about to give up when the head blinked.

I pushed myself away from it and yelled at the top of my lungs. Covering my head, heavy footsteps echoed behind me. I turned around and saw Dolion about to swing his bloody ax on top of my head.

"You're smart like the leader said," his grin was sinister. "Stay still while I behead you."

I couldn't move an inch. My entire body gave up. All I could do was watching him.

"Dolion! You devil!" that familiar voice; it was Zayne. He ran towards Dolion with a knife and stabbed him in the chest a lot of times.

Christian came next and snatched the ax from his grasp, using it to cut both of Dolion's hands off.

"You want to kill my daughter?" He roared. "You have to deal with me first!" he gave Zayne a signal to do something.

Zayne pulled out the knife from Dolion's chest and stabbed both of his eyes. The blood flowing with the agonizing scream brought me to tears. After a few minutes, Dolion's dead body lay flat in front of me.

Zayne wiped his face, "you okay?" His voice was soft and gentle. His eyes softened as he noticed me shaking.

"What were you thinking running away like that?" Christian yelled as he threw the ax away. A heavy thud echoed in that house. "You know this kind of people will kill you. Why didn't you run away from him?"

"I-I," I sobbed. "He said he was going to take me to Seattle today."

"Take you back?" He scoffed. "Zayne, tie her up and put her in the basement. You have a lot to learn," his face was red as he stormed off. The blood on his face made it worse.

Zayne took out a rope from his jacket, "let's go. Mother and father were worried sick when you were missing." As he got closer to me, the cut on his lip was visible. The cuts on his arms as well.

"Zayne," I had my eyes on it. "Your lips. What happened? And your arm," I traced my fingers on the cuts.

"Father got mad at me for not taking care of you. And the arm," he glanced at it. "It's my way of punishing myself. Because sometimes, I'm worthless," his eyes were bloodshot like he had been crying for a long time.

He tied me pretty tight until I yelped. He apologized but didn't do anything about it. I stood up but fell so Zayne ended up carrying me in his arms into the car. I sat at the back with Zayne because Christian said so.

As he pulled away, Zayne laughed. I had to admit, that his erratic personality intimidated me.

"It was fun, don't you think?" he elbowed me.

Christian, on the other hand, gazed at me using the rear-view mirror. Dolion said they were bad people but they saved me from Dolion who tried to kill me.

Honestly, I was dumbfounded. I couldn't trust anyone anymore. People are evil.

I couldn't survive in this world because of my gullibility and weakness. I gnashed my teeth as the wave of wrath washed over me.