CHAPTER 56

Helen drove us to a clothing store to get me some new clothes. I left my bags at Nyx's apartment but I didn't think I could get inside it without remembering memories we spent together. I dragged my feet and Mackenzie walked next to me. People there turned their heads in our direction as our shoes pounded the concrete.

At the corner of my eyes, I caught a glimpse of someone; Christian waving at me while laughing. I gasped and closed my eyes.

"Hope, everything okay?" Mackenzie tugged my sleeves.

"I just saw Christian. He's dead but why am I seeing him?" I massaged my temples. "Let's just go," I left her behind.

The store was packed with tourists so I had to be close to Helen and Mackenzie. I didn't plan to get lost in a clothing store. I didn't bother to find my new clothes but Mackenzie did. So, I let her choose my clothes while I observed people around me.

This one family, parents, and three kids, reminded me of my own family. Unfortunately, they died too soon. I wondered how we would look if we were an ordinary family. We could be having lunch together or watching a movie as a family.

If Helen was right, I could be wrong about them. Should I trust Helen or should I not trust anyone? I screamed and kicked a few things, almost dropped on top of people. Other people there around me shot me some weird looks as they grabbed their kids away from me.

Helen grabbed my arm, "Hope, is everything okay? Do you need some fresh air?"

"I-" it took me a while to form a sentence. "I want to know the truth about them. I want to find people who killed them," gritting my teeth, the blood inside me started boiling.

We paid for the clothes as soon as possible so I could get some rest. Both Helen and Mackenzie got worried when they knew I saw Suzanne and Christian on the road a few times.

"I think you're grieving. You're strong, Hope," Mackenzie sat with me in the car because Helen insisted.

My mind flashed the gnarly image of their dead bodies. The way they died was more brutal than I thought. It could be someone from the dragon gang or just some people.

Back at home, Aidan showed me the room I would be staying in.

"It's a guest room but we never had guest who too long," he explained. "Were you crying?"

I looked away, "no." I stepped inside the room and was about to slam the door.

"Wait," he grabbed my arm. I pulled it away from him while glaring. "I'm sorry for your lost. If you need someone to talk to, there's Mackenzie and me."

I shut the door for some privacy. With my clothes already on the bed, I decided to take a shower and a nap. Thank goodness there was a couch inside that bedroom or else I should sleep on the floor. Still not a fan of beds, though.

It was a quick shower, enough to get rid of stickiness on my body. I almost couldn't recognize my own reflection because of the new haircut. Not like a regular, sensitive Hope but a new cold and heartless Hope. I used to smile when I looked at mirrors just to see how people would see me smiling. But, I didn't think smiling was necessary anymore.

My eyes moved along my tattoo. If I got this, I was a part of the gang, right? Why didn't Christian tell me about this whole goddamn gang thing? He acted like a psychopath the entire time. I wished to turn back time so I could ask him everything I needed to know. I let out a sigh as I pinched my nose bridge. It bothered me a lot.

I got dressed in a pair of black jeans with a long sleeves black shirt. I splashed my face with the freezing water a few times before wiping it on a towel nearby. I lumbered out of there and the sound of a car from the outside caught my attention.

I hid behind a window, peeking outside. Three people came out of a black Honda; two male, and one female. One of them was wearing a tank top and had a serpent tattoo on her arm. She looked familiar, though. But the serpent tattoo? It could be the serpent gang and they were heading this way.