CHAPTER 21

We paid and I volunteered to carry those plastic bags to make up for the trouble I caused her. I placed them inside the trunk while still aware of my surroundings.

Nyx started the engine first before I got in. Suddenly, she took out something shiny from her pocket; it was a bracelet. She chortled as she watched my reaction.

"I made it for you." she said.

"Wow! It's beautiful. Thanks."

"Glad you like it. When you cried and screamed that day, I thought I did something wrong so I made this," she lifted it. "It's my way of saying sorry. I also made one for me." She took out another one that had a different color bead. Mine was red, hers was blue.

She asked for my wrist so she could put it on. The cold beads touched my skin with her freezing fingers brushed against mine causing me to shiver.

She adjusted it a bit, "I'm not sure if I made it too big for you." She shifted her gaze to the steering, "but I guess I made it just right, huh?" She wiggled her eyebrows, making me chuckle.

She pulled away from the parking lot and focused on the road. I studied the bracelet wrapped around my wrist. It made me feel safe for some reason.

After we arrived at her apartment, she parked the car first and told me to wait inside. So, I did as I was told to. Waiting, waiting, and waiting but then, my eyes caught a glimpse of that man watching Nyx like a hawk. He peeked behind the building so I couldn't see his face; it was hidden under the shadow, far away from us. She was on the phone so she couldn't see him.

What's he going to do? I have to get her back inside. But I don't want to go outside, what if he attacks me? But, what if he's not real?

I ended up getting a headache from thinking about it so I decided to go outside and snatch her as fast as I could. Luckily, she already ended the call.

"Hope, what's wrong?" She shoved her phone into her pocket. "Why are you sweating?" Her eyes went wide as she stared at me with strands of hair sticking onto my forehead.

"Can we go inside now?" I tightened my grip around her arm but I had to stop when she grimaced. She nodded and I carried a few stuffs, running upstairs with my shoes pounded on the ground, I caught the neighbor's attention because of that.

As soon as we got inside, I placed the plastic bags near the coffee table. Then, I threw myself on the couch, finally breathing again.

"Nyx, you didn't see anyone suspicious out there, right?" I asked, panting from running too much.

She took out a few chains and locks, lumbering closer to the door, "No. Is that why you rushed inside? You saw someone?"

I nodded without saying anything as I paid attention to what she was doing.

"Do you need that many?"

"If it makes you feel safe, yes," Her fingers were swift with those chains, like she dealt with them often.

The next morning, we checked everything we needed to go there. It got me thinking, why did Nyx pack camping gears? I asked her questions about it but she got mad at me for not eating much recently so she made a lot of breakfast and insisted I eat them. She dodged my question and pretended everything was fine.

That's odd.

She peeked outside to check whether the coast was clear and signaled me to stay behind her. I didn't see the man that morning. Good.

On the road, I noticed she kept fidgeting like something was on her mind. She didn't even talk during the ride.