28. Shadowy Faces

The House had never looked so terrifying. 

Although I had been there a few times and it always caused a squeamish sensation in my belly, what I felt at that moment didn't compare. It wasn't just unease, it was pure, cold dread making my blood run cold. 

What could I say to them to make them release the Hawks? After the stupid lie I had pulled, there was no way they would believe me again, was there? Moreover, what would I do even if they did believe me? I wasn't going to tell them about Zeph. Hell, I didn't even know where he was. 

I glanced at the ominous, tall white structure of the House. The majestic dome, the mystical garden. I remembered how beautiful I had found all of it. And yet all I felt now was fear. 

I wasn't even sure where I would find the Hawks. If they were being 'questioned'. Although, I shuddered to think what their interrogation would truly entail. 

I didn't have to ponder about there whereabouts for long however, the moment I entered the building,  two strange men in the characteristic plane clothes of the House approached me, their gazes stern. One of them nodded at me, speaking in a curt voice. "Purpose?"

"I need to speak to...one of the elders. Whoever captured those...bunch of people from the underbelly," I finished lamely, holding my breath for his response. He raised a chiselled eyebrow, glancing once at his colleague who had an identical quizzical look before glancing back at me. "Aren't you Arden's son? The kid who lied about some lead?"

"I did. I was scared. But..." I took a deep breath. "If telling the truth is the only way you will let them leave then I will tell the truth. But only to them, not you people."

"What guarantees that you have actual information and not some stuff you just made up?" the man asked, crossing his arms in front of his chest. 

"My word," I sighed. "I can't give you any guarantee except my word. But...I don't have anything to gain. And you have nothing to lose." 

They stared at me for a few seconds before the other man leaned in to say something in his ear. Finally, he nodded. "Basement. Follow me." 

The building looked stranger than ever before. Everything was exactly as I remembered it, the maroon carpet on the floor, the mahogany wainscoting, the bright rows of lights punctuated by huge chandeliers in between. And yet what was terrifying me the most, was the silence.

I tried to rack my brains to come up with a plan. Anything to make them believe that the hawks had nothing to do with the attack. But what? 

The men led me down a flight of staircase into the basement, the walls down below devoid of the grandeur upstairs. Nothing but grey bricks that reminded me eerily of a fantastical prison. The floor was stone, a strange musky scent hung in the air. And the moment that I stepped into the basement, a blood curdling scream made my stomach turn. 

Zia. 

I sped up, not really knowing how I was going to stop their 'questioning'. But I had to try. I had to do something. Whatever it was. The screams continued for a while before ending sharply, immediately followed by more cries of pain. Each more familiar than the other. 

We emerged into an open space, dimly light by tall lamps casting eerily dancing shadows on the hard floor. And there, in front of me, a row of chairs. Each having a member of the Hawks on it. My heart twisted and turned when I saw the metallic chains gripping their arms, and on their feet, strange, metallic contraptions with screws sticking out of them. The device I had only ever heard of. 

Zia glanced at me when I entered, her eyes bloodshot. Beside her, Josh seemed to be passed out, his head lolling towards his chest. Nyxa was quiet, although their face looked grimy and tear stricken. And at the very end, Ziv. I wasn't sure where the rest of them were. Maybe they had made it out? Hopefully...hopefully they had spared them. Zyra especially.