2. The Colour White

I woke up from a dreamless sleep to the sound of clattering utensils.

I sat up straight in my bed and turned to see Mel at the edge of my bed, leaning over as she set a tray on the beside table.

"Good morning, Master Aster," she said, smiling, her silver hair shimmering from the rays of sun streaming through the window, even her wrinkles lighting up at the smile. "I deeply apologize for barging in like this, however, your father ordered me to inform you that he has some very important guests over and that I was to bring you breakfast in bed."

I rubbed my eyes, thankful that my sleep had been dreamless as my heart sunk. "What kind of guests?"

"Someone from the House," she said. "Some sort of political gimmick...I don't know for sure, dear."

"Right, Thanks Mel," I nodded at the couple of eggs- sunny side up and two pieces of bread that she had left on the tray.

"Of course, dear," she nodded, giving me a slight bow as she tottered towards the door, her shoulders hunched. She turned towards me just as she reached the door, opening her mouth to say something before shutting it again. She shook her head, her milky eyes troubled. She reached for the doorknob before lowering her hand again.

"What's wrong?" I asked. Clearly she was hesitating about something. "What is it?"

"It's...a little thing. But..." she sighed, "Sir asked me to lock your door from the outside."

"Oh."

Of course he did.

"That's fine. Go ahead. I'll..probably just go back to sleep."

She chewed on her thin bottom lip before speaking, "I'll leave it open. I trust you won't come out."

"I...if dad finds out, he won't be pleased," I shrugged. "It's fine. Lock it." There was no reason for her to be caught in a crossfire.

"Thank you dear..." she sighed, chewing her bottom lip again guiltily. "Eat it before it gets cold though," she gave me a small smile before she left the room. I heard the key turning and lay back down on the mattress, gazing up at the intricately carved ceiling.

I tried to go back to sleep but to no avail, and finally decided to just eat the breakfast mainly for lack of anything else to do. I turned on the television after a while, lying on the bed as I surfed aimlessly through the channels, my mind drifting back again and again to Zyra's birthday which had almost been a week ago. There had been no communication whatsoever from Zeph, about which of course, I wasn't surprised. Another knock on the door caught me off guard and the voice which followed almost sent me into panic mode.

"Asteroth. Asteroth, open the door."

I quickly got to my feet and made my way towards the door, opening it to reveal my dad. Towering at well over six foot with dark hair, neatly combed and blue, narrowed eyes. "The House Lords would like to meet with you," he said, clenching his jaw as he took in my appearance. "It is eleven in the morning. How are you still undressed?"

"I'm in pyjamas, not undressed," I corrected him, trying my hand at humour as he frowned.

"I do not have time for your questionable wit. Get dressed and be downstairs in the next five minutes. And do not speak unless asked a question. Whatever I say, agree to it."

Before I could ask anything, he turned and left. I shut the door and ran over to my cupboard, trying to search for anything that would be suitable for the occasion. Finally, I managed to find a white shirt that seemed reasonably ironed and trousers. I dressed up quickly, deciding I could shower later. I combed my hair, golden- unlike anyone else in my family- and took a deep breath. I had never met any of the Elders from the house, let alone the Lords. Unless of course, I counted my own dad, one of the five people at the very top of the Lightwielder's hierarchy. however, just like dad had said, I simply had to stay quiet and nod along politely.