30. Old Friends

I couldn't remember my last words to Kai. What I did remember way too clearly however, was that they had not been kind. 

I made my way to the Academy as fast as I could. I remembered his room, but even if I found him, there was no way he would help me. Why would he? With everything that had happened? But he was my last hope, my only hope. I couldn't just sit around and expect Sienna to follow through with her word. 

Each of my steps felt heaver than the last when I made my way to his room. But there was no time to stop and panic. Each second lost was one step closer to losing Zeph forever. And there was no way in hell I was ever going to let that happen. 

I knocked on the familiar white door a few times and a few moments later, heard the shuffling of footsteps. My stomach turned nervously when Kai finally opened the door slightly. He peered through the crack, his eyebrows furrowed when he realized who it was. 

"Kai..."

"Aster," he nodded in a surprisingly even voice. "How are you?"

The forced calm in his voice, the formality. It was clear that he hadn't forgotten what had happened. Of course he hadn't, and I didn't expect him to. 

"Kai, there's no time. I..I have to cut straight to the chase. Can I come in?" I implored. He seemed to think about it for a while as he chewed on his bottom lip before finally nodding. He stepped back and I gratefully followed him inside, shutting the door behind me and turning to face him. 

"Kai...I know you and I have...have had quite a history and that I've said some mean stuff to you. But.." I took a deep breath, swallowing my pride. "I need your help."

He remained quiet, leaning against the closet, his eyes fixed on the floor. Was it a good sign that he was atleast willing to listen?

"It's Zeph. He's...still captive and well..." I took a shuddering breath. "He's...set to be executed tomorrow."

His eyes widened and he looked at me, standing straight. "Exe...cuted?" 

"I've talked to some friends of his and...well they're going to try to get him out. But...just in case...I need you to...cause a distraction of some kind. Use your powers. Something."

He gazed at me steadily before he nodded. "Why are you...telling me this? Because I'm your only shot?"

I bit my lip, shaking my head. It was true that he was my only backup,  but somehow, a naïve part of me felt like he would understand. And I decided to be honest with him in desperation. 

"Because you told me how you feel about it. And...if its even an ounce of what I feel for Zeph..." I couldn't speak, the back of my throat suddenly warm. "I...I would go to the end of the world to save him." 

I felt my face heating up when my voice cracked on the last syllable. He nodded. "Okay. I'm probably an idiot but..." he shut his eyes and sighed, "I'll do it." 

"Kai..." I took a deep breath, relief flooding through me. I didn't yet know what he had planned, hell I didn't even have any reason to trust him really. But somehow, I couldn't help but do it anyway." 

"I don't know how to thank you," I said, ashamed of the hot tears now prickling the back of my eyeballs. 

He opened his mouth before shutting it again, tethering on the edge of words. He shook his head, "Its fine. Its...not your fault how you feel about me. And..." He stuttered aimlessly for a bit before he sighed again. "You're welcome."

*