°•° 35 °•°

"No one can stop me now. I'm flying away, lift me off the ground. I'm flying away. Nothing can stop me now." Harper strummed the last chord and we all smiled at each other.

"That was our best run through yet!" I cheered.

"Yeah, it was great! I think if we practice a few more times tomorrow, we'll be set for next week's show." Greyson beamed.

"Today was a great practice, guys, but I have to run," Sean said as he stood. "I promised my siblings I would be home extra early for dinner because it's Willa's thirteenth birthday."

"Aw, do you think your family would mind if I tag along? I didn't know it was Willa's birthday."

Sean smiled at Harper. "They would never mind you coming over for dinner. They all adore you, especially Willa." He bent over and kissed her cheek, turning her smile bashful. "Let's go," he said only to her.

"Oh, crap! What time is it?" I asked frantically.

Greyson casually looked at his phone. "Three fifty five."

Double crap.

Without explanation, I quickly scrambled to pack up my stuff. I couldn't believe myself for forgetting. I felt like a horrible girlfriend and human being.

"Where are you hurrying off to?" Greyson asked curiously.

I didn't even spare him a look as I threw on my coat. "I promised I would be with Jordan at his appointment. The doctor has some news."

"Good or bad?"

I met his eyes with a deep breath. "We don't know yet."

Greyson stood, his eyebrows dipping in concern. "Do you want me to drive you? It will be faster than waiting for the bus."

"Yes. Thank you," I replied gratefully.

All four of us hustled out of the practice room. As we made our way through the lobby of the hotel and toward the front doors, Harper grabbed my shoulder. "Hey. Whatever the news, we're here for you. Both of you."

I rested my hand on her forearm and gave it a grateful squeeze. "Thanks, Lemon. But I'm believing for a wonderful report."

"So will we," Greyson replied kindly.

Though I didn't want to break up this precious, friendly moment, I was already way behind. There was no way I would make it to the hospital by four, but I had to at least make it in a somewhat timely manner.

Our group split in the parking lot, Harper and Sean heading toward their respective vehicles while Greyson and I headed toward his. We both climbed in and Greyson immediately got the heater going. My frozen nose was more thankful than I was.

"St. Lake's?" Greyson double checked.

"Yeah."

He pulled out of the parking lot and started in the direction of the hospital.

I stared out the window at the slush covered sidewalks and melting ice sicles. While it was still cold, the perfect powder from just last night was already starting to melt, my winter wonderland gone. I hoped that didn't represent something. Like my happiness melting away with it.

I shook my head at myself. I needed to stop. I was overreacting and overthinking. Just because Doctor Evans asked Jordan in, it didn't mean something was wrong. The devil was just trying to get into my head. I needed to steel myself and just believe for the best possible outcome. Hope for an even better future than the one that I had planned.

"Ella?" Greyson said after a few minutes.

I pulled myself from my thoughts and looked at him. "Yeah?"