Sequel Chapter 9

Norman

Continuation of flashback

"Aiko!" Ember exclaimed.

We ran to the boy who fell to the ground after coughing out black petals. I was trained a little by Law and Curiel so I knew more or less about the curses and diseases in the world. Aiko, in this case, has caught the Black Rose Curse, known to make the infected cough out black rose petals. There's not a lot of useful research about this disease so Aiko might be a subject I could work with. Well, I'm not planning to. I placed my hands on him and glowing lines appeared on Aiko's arms. The lines slowly disappeared and then, they appeared on mine. Soon, everyone looked at me and I told them to bring Aiko back to Moby first. They obliged and Ember carried her twin brother while Law used Shambles to bring us back to the ship. After that, Law and Curiel took an unconscious Aiko to his room while the others and I stood on the deck. Ember was about to open her mouth but I knew what she was going to ask.

"I ate a Devil Fruit."

Ember and the others were taken aback. Shimizu was a little surprised and I can't expect them to react like the others who were standing there with eyes of disbelief.

"It has no name and it allows me to absorb curses, diseases, viruses and more. So far, I haven't used it in a while but I can tell I might've absorbed too many diseases by just touching people," I added.

"Does it mean..." Zonji asked halfway.

"I will die. Very soon. However, I don't want Aiko to blame himself for my death so tomorrow, quietly sail off and leave me behind. Make sure Aiko is asleep and after you're far away, tell him everything," I told them.

The others were hesitant but they nodded. They knew it was for his sake and theirs. After Law and Curiel were informed, they tried to talk me out of it but after I started coughing up black petals, we knew it was too late. When Aiko woke up, he was confused as he wasn't coughing up black petals anymore and he remembered the note he found stated of no cure to what he had. No one had the courage to tell him. No one.

The next day, everyone was packing up and Aiko was talking to me. He did ask Zonji why they were leaving so soon and why my stuff wasn't on Moby so Zonji had to tell him it was to quickly get the One Piece. Aiko wasn't quite convinced but decided to believe it anyway.

At night

The ship was ready to sail and Law gave Aiko a sleeping pill so everything was going smoothly. I could feel my life draining away as I move and Izo noticed so he made me sit on a chair. I softly thanked him and he nodded in acknowledgement. Everyone who were leaving, except Curiel who made his decision to stay with Izo and Jozu, approached me in a line and hugged me as a whole group.

"We'll miss you, Norman. Hope you make it," Ember wished to me.

"Of course, Ember. Of course," I said.

Law looked at me and patted my shoulder.

"Y'know... Curiel and I wanted to make you the doctor after you passed your role of chef to Zonji. We needed you to take over us once we're gone but you're the one going first and nowadays, it's hard to find a potential doctor other than you," He told me.

"You'll find someone eventually, even if they're not standing out. Like a wise one once said, 'There's always a diamond, even in the roughest of the rough'," I advised him.

Law nodded and then walked away to board the ship. I sat there as the ship sailed off. It felt sad to leave them but there was no other choice. As the ship sailed farther, I saw Aiko run to the back of the ship.

"Norman! Why?! We could've helped!" Aiko yelled.

"Don't worry about me! Go on and become the Pirate King!" I exclaimed.

"I... can't... Without you, I can't become the Pirate King!"

I gasped. Aiko could be seen with eyes that were similar to a leaking faucet. I wanted to go to him. I really do. I wanted to go to him, hug him, laugh at him for falling for my prank... but... this wasn't a prank anymore. I smiled and just stared at Aiko.

"Take care and... when you go up there, we can meet again."

The Moby sailed further out at sea and Aiko was seen and heard wailing and trying to jump off the ship to get me back. I felt guilt wash over me but it was for his sake. There I sat in the chair, closing my eyes and my soul flew to the sky.

Don't blame me, though. Love made me crazy. If it doesn't...

You ain't doing it right.

Ember

End of flashback

"So that's what happened..."

Rosinante felt pity for Aiko's suffering. The rest of us felt that, too. I told everyone to do their own things and they left one by one. I looked at Aiko's door and then, I had it. I coated my left fist and arm with Armament Haki and punched the door open. Aiko was unfazed. He went back to balling up in his corner and I immediately carried him to my room. I apologized to Hana as she made the door but she forgave me. When I arrived at my room, I placed Aiko on my bed and then pulled a blanket over him. I patted his head and also sung a lullaby to put him to sleep so he'd forget about it.

"Am I still at fault-"

"Shut up, Aiko. You're not at fault and everyone knows it. Norman didn't die because of you. If he was here and he sees you like this, he'd have told you the same thing." I said.

Aiko kept quiet after that and I sighed. Soon, he slept and I left the room before closing the door. Law approached me and we walked to the deck and stood at the banister, looking at the sea.

"I have something to tell you. Alright, I know you've just settled Aiko's problem but this is important. Just... don't be shocked," Law told me.

"Well, what is it?" I asked.

"What do people do if they have... only a few days left to live?"

[End]

Author: Don't mind me, just making the story FREAKING confusing...