The Ultimatum

"Have a seat."

Clay didn't think he would be so goddamn nervous. But here he is, sitting across from the Dean. Ready to accept his fate.

The Dean slides into his seat and smiles a warm smile.

"How's it going, Clay?"

It takes everything in him not to scoff in the man's face. But he needs to be friendly this time. Open. Like he has nothing to hide.

"It's actually been pretty good." He smiles. "I've been doing well in my classes. Well, better than I did back in Florida at least." He chuckles, tapping the arm rests.

Too sweet? He can't tell.

"That is great to hear." The Dean nods. "But..." He rolls his chair back, opening a drawer. "that is not what I want to talk about with you."

"Oh, okay." Clay says cooly.

He flicks through folders, pulling out a couple and setting them onto the desk. "I notice you have quite the bruise, there." He gestures towards the blonde's face.

"Yeah- um, I do." Clay nods, his fingers flying to the wound unknowingly.

He decides to hold his tongue there, he doesn't know what the Dean knows about the fight.

"Accident?"

"Well, I can't say I wanted this bruise."

"Clumsy?" The Dean raises an eyebrow.

"It's like my limbs have a mind of their own." He sighs into a helpless smile.

"I'm sorry to hear that." Dean Himbry clasps his hands together. "I am also not the most coordinated."

"Happens to the best of us." Clay half smiles.

He technically didn't lie, but he can't tell if the Dean is actually buying this or simply humoring him.

"Right." The Dean looks down and quickly opens a folder. "So tell me, does this ring a bell?" He pushes the manila folder across the desk.

Clay looks down at what's inside and his heart stops.

A BCD envelope lies in the middle.

Empty, but on the back is written 'FOR BCD. DO NOT THROW AWAY'

Someone must've written that on there themselves.

His eyebrows quickly angle down. "An envelope?"

The Dean hums. "What do the letters 'BCD' mean to you?"

Oh, so he really isn't wasting any time.

"I'm not sure I follow, Dean Himbry."

"Naturally." He slips out another folder, slapping it onto the mahogany. He leaves this one closed. "Nick sang in front of the school the other day."

"He did."

"Were you involved with that?"

"No, I had no idea."

"Did you know he had an interest in Vanessa Himbry?"

Clay rubs his chin, pretending to ponder. "I mean yeah, he mentioned it."

"Yet you were completely unaware of his little performance." He says, tone passive.

"Like I said," Clay shifts in his seat. "I had no idea."

He isn't lying about that either.

"Alex ran through the dining hall with no clothes on." The Dean says sharply, not skipping a beat. "You weren't present to see it though."