First Runner

"It's because he's taller than me, isn't it." Nick complains to Clay as they run around the track for gym class. They're wearing white t shirts and navy shorts. Nick has a sweatband around his forehead.

....the sweatbands were optional.

"It's because he's taller and he wears charming fucking glasses." Nick huffs.

"Wilbur's glasses do look good." Clay admits.

"I can't believe they're dating dude." Nick continues to rant. "You know, Vanessa was the one good thing about this school, she was my motivation." He says between breaths.

Clay laughs. "You are so dramatic."

They stop running, completing their lap. Nick puts his hands on his knees. Clay grabs two waters, tossing one to Nick.

"We had a moment!" He catches the water. "I know we did." He breathes, opening the water.

Clay tilts his head to the side. "Because you lied."

Nick swallows the water, then covers his eyes with his hand. "Because I fucking lied." He rubs his hand down his face, bushing his eyebrows. "But- I don't know, there was something there. I wouldn't have lied if we didn't already have a good thing going." He looks to Clay, hopeless.

Clay looks at his hurt, confused friend. "There will be plenty of other girls. Cmon, we've barely seen a fraction of the students here. There will be another one." He tries to reassure Nick.

Nick sighs. "You're right, you're right. It's too early to get caught up over a girl who has a boyfriend. Plenty of fish in the sea."

"Plenty of fish in the sea." Clay smiles, wrapping his arm around Nick. They make their way to the locker room.

"So...." Nick beats on his legs. "How about you? Seen any hotties yourself?"

"What?" Clay laughs and shakes his head, dropping his arm around Nick.

"Oh come on." Nick pries. "You have never told me who you're into. Like when you made out with Maddie Cornway and I had to find out from her friends! Her friends! Now that's just sad Clay."

"I apologized about that a million times." Clay rolls his eyes, throwing his water in the recycling bin against the building. He opens the door to the locker room, not waiting for Nick.

"My point is nothing has changed." Nick follows him. "You still never tell me anything."

"Nick." Clay turns around seriously. "I'm not into anyone right now. Okay?" Clay finishes.

"Promise?"

"Jeez, I promise." Clay turns back around, taking off his shirt and wanting to just change the damn conversation.

Nick knows that this seems to be a touchy subject for Clay, but he can't imagine why.

"Okay, okay." Nick says, deciding to drop it. "But I wanna be the first one to know when you are. I'll be your wingman." Nick hits his chest proudly.

Clay chuckles. "Whatever."

***

Two days have gone by and the nobody's talked about BCD since that night.

But now it's the third day, and everyone is pretty antsy to see what Tommy will do.

Clay and Nick walk into French class with Alex.

"There's no way Tommy just doesn't do his dare. Right?" Nick asks Alex as they find their seats.

"Nah, he has to. He's been rolling around in his bed for the past two days. So I know he's at least considering it." Alex explains.

"Well he better do something fast, or he's eliminated." Clay states the obvious. They all sit down. Tommy's seat is empty. "I can't believe Tommy is the first one to wuss out. When I get my dare, I'm doing it first day. Easy."

"Right. You say that now." Alex smiles, shaking his head at Clay's cockiness. By this time, the whole class is seated and Monsieur Horne waddles to the front of the room.

Clay looks the teacher up and down, his eyebrows going up in the middle. "I still can't get over how this guy looks." Clay whispers.

"Yeah, like a literal frog." Nick mumbles back.

Alex covers his mouth, laughing. "Damn, you guys are brutal. He's nice!"

"Yeah yeah." Clay leans back into his chair.

"Attention s'il vous plaît!" Monsieur Horne clears his throat, his french accent thick. "Attention Classe de Français!" Making the class grow silent.

"Where the hell is Tommy?" Nick whispers and points to the empty seat.

Alex and Clay shrug.

And at this exact moment, Tommy bursts through the door. His vest is stuffed with pillows, making his stomach appear huge. He has a fake curly mustache on his face and a brown haired wig on.

Everyone in the classroom stares at him in disbelief.

"Attention s'il vous plaît!" Tommy commands in a deep muppet like voice. "Attention!"

This creates some chuckles.

"Is he- imitating Horne?" Alex leans forward in his desk to Clay and Nick.

Nick lets out a loud laugh of realization. "He is! Oh my god he is."

"What is zis mockery?" Monsieur Horne looks to Tommy, eyebrows furrowed.

"Oh I'll tell you what ZE mockery is." Tommy waddles up to Monsieur Horne. "That fake ass accent of yours."

"I beg your pardon?"

Tommy smooths out his mustache. "You gave me a C minus in French last year because my accent was not 'authentic'. Boy do I have some news for everyone; Monsieur Horne isn't even from France!"

"Tommy, I will give you three seconds-"

Tommy glares. "He's my neighbor."

The class gasps. Clay grins.

Monsieur Horne stands there, his face splotchy.

"I was nice enough to keep this under wraps. But giving me a C minus? Not cool! C'est mauvais!" Tommy puts his hands on his hips and faces the class.

Everyone turns their attention towards the teacher, waiting for him to debunk it.

Monsieur Horne clears his throat awkwardly. "Well I- you know how hard it is-" His British accent revealing.

Clay wheezes with laughter.

"And there you have it." Tommy faces the class. "I have officially exposed Monsieur Horne." He emphasizes.

Nick starts clapping, smiling from ear to ear. Alex and Clay join, soon followed by the entire class.

"À tout à l'heure!" Tommy turns on his heel dramatically, and walks out of the room.

Nick and Clay turn to Alex in their seats, still laughing.

"And that's BCD." Alex smiles to Nick and Clay.