Alone in the Rain

"UGH! It feels so good to walk around out of that uniform." Nick walks into their dorm, holding a bunch of vending machine snacks. "The snacks here are actually to die for." He laughs to himself.

Clay is sitting at his desk, focused on homework.

Nick sets the snacks on the coffee table, glancing at Clay. "You want something?"

He doesn't respond, continuing to write in his notebook.

"Hello?"

Nothing.

"I think I'm gonna go... shower with all my clothes on."

"Uh huh." Clay flips to a new page.

"Maybe get a tattoo."

"Mhm."

"Are you even listening to me?"

He looks up. "What?"

Nick has his hands on his hips.

He drops his pencil and sinks into his chair. "Sorry, I've been focusing on this stupid history project."

"Why?" Nick lets out a confused laugh. "Just have your partner do most of the work." He sits on his bed.

"Nah.." Clay shakes his head.

"Why not? The project isn't due for ages anyways." Nick opens a bag of chocolate wafers. "Don't let it stress you out two days after it's been assigned." He pops one into his mouth. "Who's your partner anyway?"

Clay looks up to him. "George." He says quickly.

"Oh shit." Nick chuckles. "No wonder you're acting like such a try hard, you're with the teachers pet."

Clay shrugs in response.

"Like imagine if we were in the same class and got paired up. We would've had the shittiest project." Nick laughs.

Clay smiles briefly.

Nick smile fades as he examines Clay. "Is something else bothering you?"

"No."

Nick squints. "I dunno bro, you're acting off."

"I'm not." Clay shakes his head. "I just- this project is kind of a big deal or whatever." Clay looks back down to his current progress. "So... I think I'm gonna try and get back to it now."

Nick throws his hands up. "Oh don't let me bother you." He raises his eyebrows.

Clay's back to writing.

Nick picks up on the vibes and stands back up. "Actually I think I'm gonna go for a walk or something. Just get some fresh air."

"Okay."

"Don't have too much fun while I'm gone!" Nick says in a sing song tone, pointing to Clay cheekily.

No response.

"Right." His hand drops on the handle of the dorm's door. "Don't wait up for me." He opens the door, shutting it behind him softly.

***

Nick walks down the hallway, feeling bummed. First Vanessa has a boyfriend, and now his best friend is too wrapped up in homework to even say hi to him.

Stupid school.

He eyes Tommy and Alex's dorm. He could hang out with them. He considers it shortly but decides against it, continuing down the hallway. He'd rather be alone.

He checks his watch. 10:17.
He's got a little over an hour and a half before bed check. Not that it matters since Monsieur Horne got fired.

He makes his way down the steps, sitting on the very last one. He sighs, holding his arms and resting them on top of his knees.