Studying Feelings

Vanessa rolls over in bed, grabbing her phone from the nightstand.

10 am.

She yawns, rubbing an eye. Guess she'll be having breakfast in her dorm. She unplugs her phone and falls onto her back.

She scrolls through Snapchat, clicking on all the stories. She falls upon Nick's private story from hours ago.

She reads the caption. "when your roommate can never wake the fuck up"

It's a video of Clay sleeping on his back. Nick walks up slowly to his bed, zooming in on Clay's snoring face, mouth open wide. Nick's hand appears in the frame with a bottle of water. He flicks off the cap and dumps the water onto Clay's face and into his mouth, and the video cuts on Clay mid-choke.

The next post is a picture of sleepy Clay putting a towel on the bed, flipping the camera off with wet hair.

"when your roommate's a bed pisser?? lolol"

Vanessa chuckles. She taps again and Clay's private story is next.

"when your roommate is a bitch"

The camera shows Nick, who is shirtless with shorts on. Clay walks up to Nick, the height difference showing the closer he gets.

"Dude, stop I said I was sorry!" Nick yelps, turning away to run. "I'm sorry!"

The video pans down to Nick's legs and Clay kicks him behind his knees, making Nick fall. It cuts with Nick clapping the floor with his face and Clay mid wheeze.

Vanessa laughs, replaying the video. They're both so stupid.

She watches Nick in the video. His hair is fluffy and messy, his eyes are bright against the morning sun. And without her realizing, her eyes are shamelessly studying his toned torso. As he turns away to run, the camera flashes his flexed back before it shoots down to his legs.

Vanessa sighs, turning off her phone.

She's well aware that she hasn't talked to Nick since his little stunt last night. But it's not like she's intentionally avoiding him... or is she?

If she sees him, what would she even say? Where would she begin? She's still hurting from Wilbur, so is it the right move to just be with Nick now?

She gets out of bed, her feet touching the cool wood.

It was a dare. If it wasn't he wouldn't have confessed so soon. So he's not expecting a legit response from her, right? Yeah, so she can just chill for now, and not worry about it.

She sighs.

She already came to this exact conclusion many times last night.

So what's the hold up?

Why can't she stop thinking about him?

She hits her cheeks and looks over to her calendar, seeing what she has to do today.

Saturday: MATH STUDY GROUP

Monday: MATH EXAM

Shit. That's right. She has a huge test on Monday that she's been putting off. Everyone in the class is confused, her not so much. She's kind of really good at math. But she promised she'd meet with her study group to go over things.

Sure enough, her phone dings.

Today 10:24 am

George: Are you still going to the study group thing this afternoon?