98 - Well, That Backfired :/

Reyna looked like she didn't know whether to hug her sister, cry or walk away. Rebecca understood that the sisters had a complicated relationship.

Hylla walked around the table. She looked sharp in her black leather trousers and black vest top. Around her waist glittered a cord of gold Labyrinthine links – the belt of the Amazon queen. Rebecca knew Hylla was twenty-two, but she could've been mistaken for Reyna's twin. They had the same long dark hair, the same brown eyes. They even wore the same silver ring with the torch-and-spear emblem of their mother, Bellona. But as Hylla came closer, Rebecca noticed that there were a few differences. Hylla's face wasn't as round as Reyna's was (this was probably due to their age difference). Reyna's eyes were a bit darker. But the most obvious difference between them was the long white scar on Hylla's forehead. It was so faded that Rebecca might've mistaken it for a worry line had she not seen her fair share of scars.

"Well?" Hylla prompted. "No warm words for your sister?"

"Thank you for having us abducted," Reyna deadpanned. "For shooting me with a tranquilizer dart, putting a bag over our heads and tying us to chairs."

Hylla rolled her eyes. "Rules are rules. As a praetor, you should understand that. This distribution center is one of our most important bases. We have to control access. I can't make exceptions, especially not for my family."

"I think you just enjoyed it," Rebecca muttered. Hylla definitely seemed like the kind of person who would kidnap someone for fun.

"That, too," Hylla admitted. She observed Rebecca with a gaze not unlike Annabeth's strategizing stare. Rebecca wondered if Hylla was thinking about the Malignant Spirit residing inside her. She was reluctant to talk about it now, but she would answer questions if she needed to. 

"Those initials on the reservation sign at Barrachina," Reyna said. "HTK. Hylla Twice-Kill, your new nickname. A little joke?"

"Just checking to see if you were paying attention." Hylla's posture and tone radiated nonchalance, but Rebecca wondered if the queen of the Amazons was as cool and collected as she seemed.

"You knew we would land in that courtyard. How?"

Hylla shrugged. "Shadow-travel is magic. Several of my followers are daughters of Hecate. It was a simple enough matter for them to pull you off course, especially since you and I share a connection."

Reyna's jaw clenched like she was trying to hold back her anger.

"You went to a lot of trouble," she noted. "The queen of the Amazons and the lieutenant of Artemis both rushing to Puerto Rico on a moment's notice to intercept us — I'm guessing that's not because you missed me."

Phoebe the ginger-haired Hunter chuckled. "She's smart."

"Of course," Hylla said. "I taught her everything she knows."

The other Amazons started to gather around, probably sensing a potential fight. Rebecca got the feeling that they enjoyed a confrontation every now and then like the Ares kids back at Camp Half-Blood. 

"Orion," Rebecca guessed. "That's what brought you here. His name got your attention."

"I couldn't let him kill my sister," Hylla said.

Reyna gave her sister a skeptical look. "It's more than that."

"Your mission to escort the Athena Parthenos —"

" — is important. But it's more than that, too. This is personal for you. And for the Hunters. What's your game?"

Hylla ran her thumbs along her golden belt. "Orion is a problem. Unlike the other giants, Orion has been walking the earth for centuries. He takes a special interest in killing Amazons, or Hunters, or any female who dares to be strong."