93 - Coach Hedge Does a Gaea Imitation

The rest of the afternoon was unnervingly quiet.

Reyna offered to keep watch, so Rebecca curled up and slept while she could.

She and Nico woke shortly after sunset. Nico wolfed down an avocado and cheese sandwich, the first time he'd shown a decent appetite since leaving the House of Hades.

Reyna told them about her dreams: the earth swallowing Camp Jupiter, Octavian closing in on Camp Half-Blood and the hunter with the glowing eyes who had shot Reyna in the gut.

Nico stared at his empty plate. "This hunter... a giant, maybe?"

Coach Hedge grunted. "I'd rather not find out. I say we keep moving."

Rebecca's mouth twitched. "You are suggesting we avoid a fight?"

"Listen, cupcake, I like a smackdown as much as the next guy, but we've got enough monsters to worry about without some bounty-hunter giant tracking us across the world. I don't like the sound of those huge arrows."

"For once," Reyna said, "I agree with Hedge."

Nico unfolded his aviator jacket. He put his finger through an arrow hole in the sleeve.

"I could ask for advice." Nico sounded reluctant. "Thalia Grace..."

"Jason's sister," Reyna said.

Nico nodded. "The Hunters of Artemis are... well, hunters. If anybody knew about this giant
hunter guy, Thalia would."

"I could try sending her an Iris-message," Rebecca offered.

"You don't sound very excited about the idea, Nico" Reyna noticed. "Are you... on bad terms?"

"We're fine," Nico said. "Well, at least, Rebecca is. They're practically best friends."

"I should also try to contact my sister, Hylla," Reyna said. "Camp Jupiter is lightly defended. If Gaia attacks there, perhaps the Amazons could help."

Coach Hedge scowled. "No offense, but, uh ... what's an army of Amazons going to do against a wave of dirt?"

Rebecca fought down a sense of dread. She suspected Hedge was right. Against what Reyna had supposedly seen in her dreams, the only defense would be to prevent the giants from waking Gaia. For that, she had to put her trust in the crew of the Argo II.

The daylight was almost gone. Around the courtyard, ghosts were forming a mob — hundreds of glowing Romans carrying spectral clubs or stones.

"We can talk more after the next jump," Reyna decided. "Right now, we need to get out of here."

"Yeah." Nico stood. "I think we can reach Spain this time if we're lucky. Just let me –"

The mob of ghosts vanished, like a mass of birthday candles blown out in a single breath.
Reyna's hand went to her dagger. "Where did they go?"

Rebecca looked across the ruins. She didn't know what was happening, and not knowing was making her nervous. "I'm not sure, but I don't think it's a good sign. Keep a lookout. Nico and I will get harnessed up. Should only take a few seconds."

Gleeson Hedge rose to his hooves. "A few seconds you do not have."

Rebecca's stomach curled into a tiny ball. Hedge spoke with a woman's voice — Gaea's voice.

She drew her swords.

Hedge turned towards Reyna, his face expressionless. His eyes were solid black. "Be glad, Reyna Ramírez-Arellano. You will die as a Roman. You will join the ghosts of Pompeii."

Haunted || Leo Valdezजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें