55 - We Unlock a Mini-Quest

The next morning Rebecca woke to a different ship's horn—a blast so loud it literally shook her out of bed.

She wondered if Leo was pulling another joke. Then she remembered Leo was asleep next to her, his arms curled loosely around her. The horn boomed again. It sounded like it was coming from several hundred yards away—from another vessel.

Leo cursed under his breath. "One morning to sleep in, just one. That's all I want."

Rebecca couldn't help agreeing with him.

Percy barged into the room, apparently ready to tell them about the loud horn blast. He wore pajama pants and a bronze breastplate, which was an interesting fashion statement. He took in the scene, and his matter-of-factly expression dissolved into a frown.

"Oh, no," He said. "No way is this allowed."

"Percy—" Rebecca tried, too tired to even want to tell him to back off.

"No." Percy shook his head. "I've put up with the cheesy looks at each other. I've put up with the kissing—"

"Man, when have we kissed in front of—"

"You have the right to remain silent, Valdez," Percy snapped. "I will not put up with this. No way, José."

"My name is Leo," Leo muttered.

Percy inhaled sharply. "Did you just sass me?"

"We sass each other all the time," Leo said. "It's a thing."

"That's when we're friends," Percy said. "Right now I'm Rebecca's cousin and honorary brother, and it's my duty to tell you that I don't approve of you sleeping with her."

Rebecca felt the heat rise to her cheeks. She jumped out of bed and dragged Percy out by the ear as Leo stammered in protestation. She slammed the door behind her and glared at Percy.

"First off," she snapped, "Anne told me she and Frank found you and Annabeth all snuggled up in the stables, so I wouldn't talk. Second, what I do with my boyfriend is none of your business, but if you must know, we are not doing what you just implied."

"I'm just trying to protect you."

"I am perfectly capable of protecting myself. If Leo tried anything, you'd hear him screaming for mercy." She placed her hands on her hips. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go get dressed."

She stormed to her cabin.

By the time she got up on deck, the others had already gathered—all hastily dressed except for Coach Hedge, who had pulled the night watch.

Frank's Vancouver Winter Olympics shirt was inside out. Percy wore pajama pants and a bronze breastplate, which was an interesting fashion statement. Anne's face was smudged with yesterday's makeup. Henry had forgotten pants altogether and had only a T-shirt and boxers on. Hazel's hair was all blown to one side, as though she'd walked through a cyclone. Leo had accidentally set himself on fire. His T-shirt was in charred tatters. His arms were smoking.

He seemed to be fine, so Percy hadn't tried to beat him up or anything.

About a hundred yards to port, a massive cruise ship glided past. Tourists waved at them from fifteen or sixteen rows of balconies. Some smiled and took pictures. None of them looked surprised to see an Ancient Greek trireme. Maybe the Mist made it look like a fishing boat, or perhaps the cruisers thought the Argo II was a tourist attraction.

The cruise ship blew its horn again, and the Argo II had a shaking fit.

Coach Hedge plugged his ears. "Do they have to be so loud?"