64 - Everybody Tries to Take the Blame

Rebecca couldn't remember how she got back up to the Argo II. She just found herself clinging tightly to the railing of the ship, feeling numb. She didn't even feel anything when Jason and Piper put her arm back in place.

Percy and Annabeth were gone. She hadn't been able to save them. It was all her fault.

Percy's expression would haunt her. His sea green eyes had been like the calm before a storm. His jaw had been set with determination, and there had been a flicker of fear. His arm had still been outstretched, having let go seconds before. He'd quickly wrapped his arms around Annabeth as they fell, determined to stay together.

Rebecca took a shaky breath and tried to focus on her surroundings.

The Argo II was now parked on a hill overlooking the city. Leo and the others were carefully loading the Athena Parthenos into the hold. There was an elephant, probably Frank, helping out.

Nico was still too weak to help. He stood next to Rebecca, looking like he wanted to comfort her but wasn't sure how to do it. He reached for Rebecca's hand with a questioning look. She accepted it gratefully. She had lost Percy and Annabeth, but at least she had Nico back. That had to mean something.

When Leo came back on deck, he went straight for Rebecca. He muttered a few words to Nico -- Rebecca couldn't hear them, but she wasn't trying that hard. Nico let go of her hand and made a slow but somewhat steady trip across the deck to Hazel.

Leo wrapped his arms around her. Rebecca appreciated the warmth he gave her, but she didn't deserve it.

"It should've been me," she forced out. It hurt to speak, but it needed to be said.

"No." Leo's lips brushed against her forehead. "No, Querida, don't go saying that."

"We almost made it," she whispered. "We were almost there, and I couldn't do it."

"Rebecca--"

"It's my fault they're gone. I couldn't save them."

Leo kissed her almost forcefully. Rebecca looked up into his eyes.

"Don't say that," Leo said. "It's not your fault at all. I--" his voice cracked. "If anyone is to blame, it's me."

Rebecca was shocked. How in Hades could Leo possibly think he had anything to do with it? "What do you mean?"

Leo told her about his encounter with Nemesis, the fortune cookie, and Nemesis telling him about sacrifice.

Nearby, Coach Hedge was pacing the deck with tears in his eyes, pulling at his goatee and slapping the side of his head, muttering, "I should have saved them! I should have blown up more stuff!"

"Coach!" Leo shouted. "Why don't you go belowdecks and secure everything for departure?"

Hedge nodded and went down, sniffling.

Rebecca looked down. "It wasn't you. You weren't the one who dropped them."

"Nico said you didn't drop them," Leo said. "He said Percy told you something and let go."

"He made me promise to lead you to Epirus."

"If anyone can do it, you can. I trust you."

Rebecca sighed. "That's a terrible decision."

"No, it's not," Leo said. "Give yourself more credit."

"What if I can't do it?"

"Then I'll be here to help you." Leo let go of her and took her hand. "Come on. Let's go meet with the others."