14: Goodbye

"Halcyon: denoting a period of time in the past that was idyllically happy and peaceful."

"I believe you are a friend of a young man named Blake?" Officer Lachowski stated rather than asked.

Blake. I was reminded of our last encounter where he had practically professed his love towards me. The words he spoke to me stuck in my head and I knew he truly cared. Blake genuinely wanted me to be happy but his soft words meant nothing considering he was as high as a kite when he spoke them to me. Also, words didn't change the fact that he cheated on me 9 times.

"Uh, yeah? Kind of. I wouldn't exactly call him my friend." I replied.

"It seemed as though you were very close, but maybe I'm mistaken." Officer Collier said.

"What's happened to Blake? Don't tell me one of his drug dealers beat him up for not paying or some shit like that. Because, frankly, I couldn't care less." I blankly told them.

"Blake was discovered in the early hours of this morning by his roommate stone cold dead." Officer Lachowski dropped the bombshell.

My jaw dropped and I suddenly felt a chill wave through me as I attempted to comprehend what he had just said. It couldn't be...not Blake.

Blake knew me better than anyone on this earth and vice versa I guess. At one point in our lives, we were both madly in love and shared everything with each other. He was always there for me. Even though I neglected these thoughts, I knew I still cared about him. You can never fully stop caring about someone you love.

Why did it take his death for me to realise this? I felt as though someone cut a hole through my heart.

"W-what? How?" I felt my eyes begin to water, not caring about the vow I made to myself ages ago to never shed a tear over Blake ever again. "Wait, don't tell me. I already know."

It was the drugs. I couldn't help but think that if only I had just forgiven him instead of being so bitter, I could have helped him. It didn't have to be this way. I knew all about Blake's life, from his abusive father to his wish of living fast and dying young.

I guess he got his wish.

"It was the drugs, wasn't it?" I asked for confirmation, a single tear leaking from my eyes.

My baby, Tommy's dad and now Blake. It was as if Death himself was victimsing the people around me.

"Drugs had nothing to do with this young man's demise." The officer surprised me.

"Then what?" I was curious.

"Suicide." Collier spoke the cursed words. "The reason why we're here is because he left you a letter."

Suicide? How could I have been so blind? How did I not see this? I didn't even know that the person I thought I knew best had such terrible thoughts. I didn't see it coming, I didn't see the signs...but I guess I never bothered to look beyond his facade.

"Me?" I was astounded.

"Yes." Officer Lachowski handed me an envelope which read my name. "We had to open it and read it in case it helped with our investigation, for that we want to apologise for invading your privacy."

"Not at all." I acknowledged, glaring at the letter.

It was a plain white envelope with the words For Ellie written on in Blake's messy handwriting. My finger traced the words on the envelope as another tear streamed down my face.

Blake: the boy who was once my whole world. The boy who helped me. The boy who cheated on me. The boy who told me he was in love with me.

The boy who was now dead.