10: Store Room Secrets

"They left us alone, the kids in the dark. To burn out forever, or light up a spark." -All Time Low

I'd eaten three chocolate bars but I really didn't give a fuck. This baby wanted chocolate so I was going to give it chocolate.

Aaron and I had been locked in here for the past hour yet neither of us could manage to get to sleep despite the fact that it was 1am and we had nothing better to do. It wasn't exactly easy though, there wasn't enough space to lie down so we just sat next to each other at a fairly close proximity. Our arms were touching however it didn't really bother me.

"It's nice to see you eating." Aaron spoke up.

"Hmm..." I replied.

"I'm sorry if I over crossed the line before." He apologised.

"It's cool." I shrugged, not wanting to argue with him considering I was stuck in here with him for God knows how long.

Silence decended upon us once again and I began to get deep in thought. I started to process Aaron's previous words to me and I hated to admit it but, he was kind of right. I was being a rude bitch and always saw the worst in people. I was bitter and cruel. I just needed to be friendly to people, not make them my enemies. All Aaron was trying to do was help, but I wouldn't let him because I was so sure he would just end up hurting me but instead, I ended up hurting myself.

"I'm sorry too." I managed to croak out.

"What? I didn't manage to catch that." He smiled crookedly.

"I said I'm sorry." I repeated.

"One more time?"

"God, I'm sorry for being such a bitch, okay?" I sighed. "I don't mean to."

"Apology accepted." He grinned. "And you know, I meant what I said the other day; I'm always here if you need to talk."

"No thanks. I don't want you sharing my business with Lindsy." I bitterly replied then mentally face palmed myself for being so straight forward with him. I'd only just apologised for being a bitch and I couldn't even keep up being nice for 5 seconds. "Sorry, I didn't mean-"

"You're right. I shouldn't have told Lindsy anything. It wasn't my place." He apologised. "I swear, if you ever want to talk about anything, I won't tell another living soul."

Why was he being so nice to me? It was weird because people weren't usually so kind towards me. I'd done nothing but be rude to him.

"You shouldn't be so kind and forgiving you know." I warned him. "You'll end up getting hurt."

"By who?"

"Everyone." I answered.

He studied my face for a bit, watching me thoughtfully and in depth. A sad smile crossed his face and I couldn't help but feel as though he was pitying me.

"You wanna know why I'm happy all the time? Well, try to be anyway." He quizzed.

"Why?" I wondered, hugging my knees to my chest, keeping my gaze locked onto his.

"Because I'm lucky to be alive. I should be dead, but I'm not. That's why I appreciate every single day I have on this earth because it's one extra day that I could have, no, should have, missed." He told me.

"What do you mean?" His words sparked a genuine interest in me and I was curious to know his story.

"I don't really tell people I barely know this but, for you, I'll make an exception." He gave me a small smile.

"Don't I feel special." I replied, however returning his smile.

"When I was 15, my family went out to visit my grandparents in London. I stayed at home because I had GCSE revision to do. They'd been gone for about 10 minutes, and then it happened. My face fell to the side and my right eye dropped down. I could no longer move my arms because they felt numb and weird. My speech became slurred and I couldn't manage to form a sentence. I was completely helpless. I wanted to call for help but I was paralysed. I knew what was happening though: I was having a stroke. It was a haemorrhagic stroke where a weakened blood vessel supplying the brain bursts." He explained.