Chapter 19 (@inertflouride)

Start from the beginning

"You know, you should take some rest while you can right now. The past few days haven't been very kind on you", he suggests me while glancing at me sideways for a few seconds.

"So haven't for you Jake. You can let me drive just so you know, if you get tired and need a break too", I soften my eyes at him, trying to reciprocate the mutual care.

"I will, once you get your quota of sleep in."

"Pfft, you and your obstinate ass", I roll my eyes at him and shift my weight on my left, leaning my head against the cool window pane.

As I shut my eyes, my mind wanders back to our foe at hand, how he oh-so-conveniently got rid of and silenced ANY further investigations regarding the cold blooded murder of Michael. How powerful is that guy? Somehow I still do not seem to know the answer to that question.

It still baffles me how we ACTUALLY got rid of Michael, how we tricked Mark to believe that his loyal servant was two-timing him, and the way James and Jake laid out the whole plan, and executed it...

Two days back when the three of us were bewildered over a dearth of ideas as to how to get in the farm where Mark was hiding. We knew he was at the farm only because of the intel we discovered on our own so sending James with the files would definitely be suspicious and abrupt, and it would make us lose out at an important chance if Mark sniffed something out.

"Well, what if James gets invited to the farm?", I subconsciously mutter, thinking deeply about the faint idea flashing in my head.

"What do you mean?", James lifts his head from the files and looks at me, looking at me to elaborate further.

"Well, the best way to infiltrate an area is to get invited", I say in a matter-of-fact way. "If a rumour spreads in your organisation suggesting Michael is guilty of whatever is written in those files of yours, and then it reaches the inner circle that you were the one to discover that, I guess Master will himself call you in to clarify that. Then you take the files with you and show him everything. BAM, instant kill."

"But why would I be the one to throw light on Michael's deeds? Wouldn't it be suspicious that I suddenly bring up proof to get him out especially after Michael tried to attack you guys?", James tries to reason back.

"Oh. Then tell him the truth. Michael had the audacity to check on your personal space, suspecting you of hiding us and it hurt your ego. Plus you are loyal to Master, and you would never let anyone screw, whatever you guys call yourselves, over", I explained as I took a seat on the bean bag, flipping my hair backwards.

"Fuck, that would actually sounds honest and authentic. God, you are a genius MC", Jake beamed and kissed my cheek.

....

"FUCK, MC GET UP!", Jake exclaims in a loud voice, making me jerk from my little recapitulation.

"What happened Jake?!", I try to rearrange my mind, desperately in an attempt to understand the sudden commotion.

"They caught onto us. Master's men are after us. Look at the rear mirror", he mumbles so fast that I barely catch onto what he's saying. I look at the concave mirror beside me and find 4 black SUVs chasing us.

Jake tries to lose them, making sharp turns and twists which would have thrown me across the car if I didn't have the seat belt on. I feel a distinct buzzing in my pants and find Christopher calling me on my burner phone. I pick it up without further ado and stick it to my ear, so that it does not get tossed to some unreachable corner of the car.

"MC! Get to a safe place immediately! I heard some chatter in the FBI while I was there and demanded to know what was going on. Finally they spilled that the cyber criminal, who you are to help the FBI with, had caught onto your trail. Please tell me they haven't yet!"

"Fuck, they are right after us Chris. Jake is trying to outspeed them but I don't know what's there for us."

"I'm sending you... Just...there and call at... They will take you... help you too."

"What? I can't hear you Chris!", I try to re-communicate with him when suddenly a bullet hits the rear glass of the car, making me lose grip on the phone and duck down in response.

"Shit, shit, shit. MC, get my bag from the rear seat and open the front zip", Jake orders me, still zipping around the deserted road.

I flap open my seatbelt and try to reach the rear seat but misbalance as Jake takes another sharp turn. I push myself forward and somehow manage to grab onto the bag before seating myself back on the passenger seat. I open the bag and find a revolver staring back at me.

"What in the actual fuck Jake?! Where the fuck did you get this?", I ask him in utter disbelief though realising the situation right now isn't the most perfect one for Q&A. "Scratch that, what do you want me to do?"

"I'm gonna hit the gas really hard now, which will temporarily make them lose sight us of. Then we get out and hide, I'll do the shooting don't worry. Just stay with me and DO NOT let even 1 feet distance between us. Understood?"

"Okay", I nod, more to myself as I try to prepare myself for the task at hand.

Jake then speeds the car so fast that I find myself being pushed back to my seat, unable to even lift my head. I scream at seeing a dead end ahead but Jake jerks my hand and screams, "Jump now!"

And I do. I open the car door and jump down on the grass which maybe does break my fall but my body stills rolls down and when it finally stops, I look back and find the car jumping into the deep ditch.

"NOOOO! JAKE!!!!!", I scream my lungs out on not seeing him anywhere. He didn't jump with the car right? "No no no, this can't happen." And I start running towards the ditch to figure shit out when suddenly...