Chapter 13: Break

When she had arrived back home from the first mission, her parents and even siblings who were there at the time were curious of how working as a maid went.

"Did you wear a dress like in those movies." Her eldest brother asked in amusement.

"No.  We could decide to wear the skirt or pants.  I picked pants; they were comfy." She then glanced at her other brother, "And no there was no romance, no 'the young master is flirting with me' thing going on." She secretly thanked which ever heavenly being prevented such a thing from happening.

Everyone laughed at her last statement, "I didn't know that working as a maid paid so well though." Johnathon said as he thought back to the checks, she had shown them after she was asked if her pay was enough for working as a maid.

"Considering the amount of work done, I think it's okay." Amy responded.

____________________________________________________________________________

"A break?" Amy spoke into the phone, "So, no more work to do?"

"For now, that is.  Rest is important too, and besides it would be a bit suspicious and odd if you continued to leave for other reasons one after another."

"Oh." She was glad that she didn't have to do anything else anymore, at least for the moment that is, "Does that mean I have to continue with my training?" She asked already knowing the answer.

"Yes.  Though you will be sent a few papers to review for the time being.  And as you may have noticed, your work schedule is still part time, you will no longer be paid the same as you were before.  You will be paid a monthly allowance into your other account."

Amy nodded, but then realized that she couldn't be seen, "Okay."

"What kind of papers am I going to get?"

"Think of it as homework, they're examples of cases you have to read about and give an answer to how you would have completed that mission.  That is part of your training as well.  Melody will be dropping them off for you on a later day."

"Okay, thank you." The call was then hung up.

The following day Melody came to drop of the papers, "They're example papers for some assignments." Melody had explained, "It's little bit of psychology and math."

"A few papers.  This?" Amy looked down at the small stack of papers on her desk, "How many pages are there?"

"There's only three cases right there.  It has enough information for you to be able to understand the situation." Melody explained, "Since you'll have enough time, you will continue your training along with these, which by the way you have two weeks to finish these."

Her lip twitched, "Two weeks for this?" She lightly laughed, "Is this all?"

"Well, as you finish these you'll be getting more and more and each time it will have less details on the information on the mission so you can learn to decipher a mission when there isn't much information provided."

______________________________________________________________________________

As the days passed, Amy worked herself until it could be said that her blood was coffee and energy drinks.  Though after a while, they did little to help at all, so she did the one thing she would do when she was still a high school student when she stayed up all night to study.

Watch horror movies and paranormal videos online, the thought of imagining the creatures from the movies, or the ghosts or demons from the videos to be in her room were enough to keep her awake and lamp on in her room.

She flipped through the pages, reading and scribbling down notes of things that catch her attention.  Amy had enough time to do such work, her part time job, her hours had been reduced even more.  Apparently, there were five new hired employees as such her hours were cut.  Which was odd considering that it would be normal for Amy, who had been working there for two years to help train them.

"Must be them." There was no other way to explain what the real reason was for that, "They want me to train more don't they?" She said to herself as she circled a few words on the paper she was writing on.

With a tired groan and stretching her arms out, she stood up from her seat and headed towards her bed, "I'll finish that tomorrow.  There's only one left."

There were three days until the two-week mark, and she only needed to finish the current mission example she was working on.

"What a great break this is." She pulled up the covers to her shoulders and closed her eyes.

With a sigh she settled further into her bed ready to finally sleep, though she cracked one eye open to make sure that the lamp light was on, "Okay, good." Then closed her eyes once again.

The horror movies and paranormal videos certainly did its work, it scared her.

__________________________________________________________________________

The day that Melody came for the papers, Amy was so happy and ready to express it, but that was short lived as Melody pulled out another small stack of papers from her bag.

"These have a little less information, there's three of them.  You have one week."

Amy's smile dropped, "A week?  Why not two weeks like for those other ones?" She wouldn't be able to finish that in just one week.

"The first one was to get you used to it and get a hang of it.  Think of it as a mission, you sometimes don't have a lot of time to finish it and must come up with a quick solution on the spot."

Amy sighed heavily, "Can't you just give me a few days off?  This was supposed to be a break, can't I just get an actual break."

"You are getting a break." Melody responded as she lightly tilted her head and smiled.

Just as quickly Amy responded, "A break form work and any missions yeah.  But I still do training, and this mission homework stuff.  It doesn't even feel like a break, it feels more like being in summer school while working." She lamented feeling so tired.