Chapter 6: Blank

To others she may look tired, a bit listless with her work, but it wasn't that.  Amy was indeed tired, but mentally tired from overthinking.

Thinking of her new occupation that she had reluctantly accepted not long ago, it felt like she had been walking on uneven ground.

Amy felt as if her mind would go blank at times almost as if it were her own mind trying to protect her from such lingering thoughts.

But that didn't stop some of them, especially the ones that had left her speechless.  At learning of who that person was who had recommended her to be recruited.

Sitting at the reception desk at work she placed her elbows on her desk, steepled her fingers together.  She leaned slightly forward her ribs pressed against the desk lightly, the tips of her fingers touching her chin and lips.

Amy let out a silent sigh as she thought back to the answer she had received from Melody.

"Why me? How did I even end up being an option for this recruitment?" She was scared of the answer, but she wanted to know the reason.

Pausing at the entrance, Melody glanced at Amy for a few seconds and replied, "One of our agents recommended you." The rest of what Melody said afterwards felt like all the remaining breath in her lungs had been punched out leaving her chest aching for breath.

Her mouth had gone born dry as she listened, her ears felt like a roaring waterfall were passing by.

"He has never been wrong with people he has recommended."

Amy blankly stared down at the box containing the phone in her hands, feeling as if it were the heaviest item she had ever held. Her hands tingled, feeling as if they would start to burn the longer, she held on to that box. The box that furthered sealed her fate.

"Who was that agent?" She tried to swallow down the lump that had started to form in her throat.

"He has long passed away, his name at the time was Thomas.  He left your information and instructions that you would be recruited once you were nineteen years old."

"At the time?  Was Thomas not his name?"

Melody turned towards her, "No.  We don't have names, most of us have cast away our names or take on an alias depending on our mission.  All I can say for sure is that he was someone close to you."

Amy closed her eyes for a few seconds before sitting up right, there was only one person that she knew that was named Thomas and had been close to her.

"Uncle Thomas, Aunt Becky's husband." Amy clenched her jaw, 'It could only be him.' She thought to herself.

Thomas was an odd person, he had no family, he was an orphan after his parents died when he was sixteen years old.  He had no other family members aside from his wife and children.

He would often be away for days at a time because of work, even to the point that many thought that he was having an affair.  But that was all proven to be false.

'He died five years ago.' She frowned, 'Was marrying Aunt Becky part of his mission, were his children also part of the plan?  Did he even think of us as family?' Her lips trembled as she thought of all the lies, the fake life he made, the affection she often saw in her aunt's gaze to her husband.  Was all her affection in vain, something he had used to further complete his mission?

'But he couldn't possibly fake the way he looked at Aunt Becky and children with such love.  Were all the times we played together fake too?'

It didn't seem possible to completely fake everything that happened, all the joy and happiness seemed too real to be fake.

Amy glanced down at her small dark blue pouch bag on the desk beside her, inside was the new phone she had gotten from Melody.  She was afraid of carrying it around, but even more so at the thought that if she had left it home and they had called her and ended up with them coming to her workplace looking for her since she didn't answer.

______________________________________________________________________________

"Are you okay?" Amy blankly looked at the person in front of her desk for a few seconds before answering.

With a small smile Amy nodded, "Yeah.  I'm just a bit tired, I didn't get much sleep last night." She scratched her cheek, "Yessenia, do I look tired to you?"

Yessenia rose a brow, "Sort of, why?"

"It's just that I kind of hoped it didn't show much.  I don't want to be scolded for seeming to slack off for being tired." Amy glanced away.

Hearing Yessenia laugh, Amy returned her gaze back to Yessenia, "I feel you there.  One time I had horrible insomnia and couldn't sleep much for two days, the most I got was about three hours each night.  I was so exhausted, and the head nurse in the department I was in got mad at me because she thought I was slacking off because I kept lagging behind.  But I was just trying to read the messy handwriting on the charts, though honestly I just wanted to sleep." She crossed her arms across her chest wrinkling up her light purple uniform scrubs in the process.

As Yessenia kept talking, Amy zoned out as her mind began to wonder once again.

______________________________________________________________________________

As the hours passed Amy began to calm down and work as she usually does.  Maybe it was the fact that she was keeping her mind busy with other things that she was able to distract herself and stay calm.

But as she worked, Amy began to realize that she had begun to accept what had happened, 'There's no use crying over spilt milk.' She mused to herself, 'I wish Uncle Thomas was alive so I can give him a piece of my mind!' She gripped her pen tighter as she wrote down the schedules for the coming week on the blank spots on the calendar before putting them in the system.