Chapter 4: Bargaining

Amy let out a laugh, "It was my brother right?" She nodded to herself, "It must be Johnathon, is he still upset about the prank I did last year?  This is his prank.  But isn't he going too far?"

Melody tucked a lose strand of her blonde hair behind her ear, "I think it would be best if we talk about this elsewhere." Her hazel eyes drifted off into the direction Amy's mother had gone to.

Amy felt her stomach churned as she looked at the seriousness in Melody's gaze, she closed her eyes for a few seconds, "Let's go to my room.  But if you so much as even try something I'll scream and call the cops.  Got it." Amy threatened through gritted teeth, "You go up first I'll follow behind."

There was no way that Amy wanted this unknown person to walk behind her, she looked as if she couldn't even hurt a butterfly, but the fact that she came saying Aaron's name is enough to have put Amy on edge.

For all she knew Melody, if that was her name, could have a concealed weapon and waiting to pounce on her and attack her, she didn't want to be one of those people in those crime documentaries.

Both mother and daughter found murdered in their home, no, she didn't want that.

_______________________________________________________________________________

"What do you want?  Why are you here?" Amy demanded an answer as she stood next to the door which had been left open.

Melody sat herself at the chair in front of a small desk, "I've been told by Aaron that you have already been told of your current position.  It seemed like it was a bit difficult for you to assimilate and process what he had told you." She placed her hands on her thighs showing that she had nothing in her hands, "I figured it would be beneficial to give you a few days to process that."

Amy scoffed and shook her head, "Difficult to assimilate?  Time to process?  There's nothing to assimilate or process because you and Aaron are both wrong!  You have the wrong person." Her nose nearly flared in anger.

Amy continued to deny everything, they were wrong.

Seeming unbothered by the reaction Melody picked up the notebook from the table, "I'm not wrong." She opened the notebook and pulled out a vanilla colored document file, "Amy Beltner age 19, birthday June 16th, height 5 feet 3 inches, 160 centimeters if you go by that, only high school diploma, working at a care facility as a receptionist to save for college tuition.  Mother, Maria Gomez age 49, birthday August 10th, height 5 feet 4 inches, 162 centimeters, university diploma, middle school health teacher." Melody flipped the page and continued, "Father, Todd Beltner age 52, birthday July 13th, height 6 feet, 182 centimeters, university diploma, Social Service worker."

Amy felt her mouth go dry as she listened and her knees gave out as she slumped onto the ground, "What." She whispered out.

"Johnathon Beltner, age 25, birthday May 7th, height 6 feet 1 inch, 185 centimeters, married, one son, college diploma, café owner. Josue Beltner, age 22, married no children, legal assistant in lawyer agency." Melody glanced up from the papers and at seeing Amy slumped on the ground with a blank face, she put away the papers deciding not to continue with the remaining information.

"We have more information if you would like to hear it."

Slowly Amy shook her head, her mouth opened and shut, "How?" She managed to say in a whisper.

"I can't really go into detail on that, but do know that everything you have been told by Aaron is the truth.  You have in fact been recruited as one of the spies of our agency."

Was this something as simple as a stalker, a joke of a roleplay?  That didn't seem like the case anymore, everything was too real to be a simple prank, or roleplay.

"Are you an illegal syndicate?" Amy asked in a shaky voice as she brought up her knees to her chest, she was scared and rightfully so.

"No.  We are a group, but not illegal as you may be thinking." Melody placed the notebook on the desk, got up and walked over to Amy and knelt down near her.

Amy's eyes glistened with forming tears in fear, "Can't you pick someone else?" She pleaded, "Look I don't even have any qualifications to be a spy!" She stretched out her legs and brought up her arms as emphasis, "I'm not fit, not strong.  Heck, I barely even passed math in high school."  A surge of words gushed out of her mouth all at once.

Melody silently listened as Amy continued on listing anything she could think of, "I'm not a good liar, I'll be found out easily.  Being a spy is likely to be dangerous and not only will I be in danger, so will my family." She harshly placed her hands to her head in exasperation, "I promise I won't tell anyone.  I'll pretend that I didn't hear anything."

With a sigh Melody sighed, "There's nothing I can do.  You've already been recruited, as for your problems we can have all data of you removed from every place you've been registered in.  Think of it as breaking off ties with the world.  You'll be trained to lie if need be." Melody stood up with a small sigh, "I know that it's a lot to take in and understand all at once, and that you're probably even scared.  But, unfortunately there isn't much we can do to help you with that."

"Can't I bargain, make a deal with whoever you work for?" Amy tried one last time, she knew that there was nothing she could do, but she didn't want to stop trying until the end.

All it took was one shake of her head, and Amy had received her answer, "I see." Listlessly she sighed feeling as if all remaining strength in her body had been sucked out leaving her feeling so painfully tired, physically and mentally.

Amy slowly closed her eyes in resignation.