Chapter 8: Learning to Lie

Sweat droplets fell onto the blue mat followed along with panting and a loud thud as knees hit the ground.

Amy panted as she soon fell to her side in exhaustion.  It had been four days since she had started her training.

"Training more like torture." Amy gasped out, "You're going to kill me." She tiredly turned her head to the assigned instructor who didn't even look tired at all, not even a bead of sweat could be seen on him.

"You won't die.  It just shows how lacking you are physically." He put away the weights they had been using.

'I regret not having gone to the gym before.' She sighed to herself as she closed her eyes, 'Though I never really had time before.'

Now she had as much time as needed to "train", somehow, they managed to change her work schedule.  She was no longer working full time, but part time, "You'll have more time to train." They had told her on the first day of training when they had informed her of her work schedule.  The reason for the change was that they had hired enough people to give her some time off from work.

"It feels like they just threw a beginner into an advanced class." She sat up and watched as her instructor began to set up the next equipment.  Jump rope, but the rope was heavier than it should be.  The amount of bruises Amy had gotten on the first day would be enough to say that she had been beat by someone.

"We don't exactly have the time to wait until you get accustomed to it.  Usually out recruits already have a better grasp on this type of regimen.  I know it's not the best method, but I'm using the lightest weights, though they are heavier than beginner ones." He said as he set down the jump rope down in front of her, "Fifteen, then you can go.  Remember that after this you'll have to meet up with the nutritionist to further talk on your new diet."

At first Amy had thought that the diet was to lose weight, but it was a diet to keep her balanced with the workout and to detoxify her body.

"That's the most calming class to take." She muttered to herself as she stood up on sore legs.

By the time that she had arrived to the nutritionist, in the same building for some odd reason she would never understand, she was barely able to keep her eyes open from the exhaustion.

"I'll make this quick so you can go rest.  You're pretty lucky that you're working part time now." The nutritionist said, "As always James doesn't hold back with training." She sighed, "Anyways, has it been hard to start adding those changes to your meals?" She asked.

Amy sprawled against the chair almost as if she were ready to become one with it and just sit there forever, "It was hard at first, but it's okay now.  Though my parents did wonder a bit for the change.  I told them that I was going to a gym and decided to change what I eat after one of the trainers mentioned it."

The nutritionist nodded, "I see.  Well, I want you to keep doing the same meal plan for the week, next week I'll give you a new one."

Amy nodded, "Okay."

_____________________________________________________________________________

"Your nutritionist mentioned to us how you had to explain to your parents about your meal plan." Aaron sat in front of the bench seat in front of Amy, "It was already hard for you to lie to your parents about the reason for your training.  We'll have to add a new class, which I expected to be the case."

Amy let out a tired sigh, "How many more classes are you going to be adding now?" She placed chin on her folded hands, "I kind of miss classes in high school, I always complained about them." She sighed once again.

"Depends on what you're capable of doing." He answered as he slightly leaned forwards towards her, "Before you can convince anyone, you have to be able to sound convincing to yourself.  Otherwise, your cover and lies will be exposed.  You could say that you have to be able to lie that you find yourself believing that lie."

Amy listened intently as he continued speaking, "You will be taught how to lie.  How to perfect every word, gesture, facial expression, tone of voice and be able to show certain emotions on command depending on the situation."

"So, this is basically like a drama class." Amy asked in curiosity, she had taken a drama class in high school, though compared to what Aaron had mentioned, what she had learned seemed as if she had merely only learned how to memorize a script alone, which was true.

"In a way." Aaron replied, "Though it will be a bit different than that.  You'll be learning how to avoid certain habits, body gestures that some may recognize as part of a lie.  To hold back your emotions, to fake your emotions depending on the situation.  Change the way you speak, the tone of your voice.  But considering we don't have a lot of time, you won't be able to perfect everything, but at least get a good grasp of it."

Amy nodded, "Okay.  Speaking of classes, who is the self-defense instructor?"

"I am.  I've been away for a few days, that's why you haven't started that class yet."

______________________________________________________________________

"No.  You're too stiff with your movements.  You're making it very obvious that you're lying.  Do it again."

Taking a deep breath Amy once again began trying to say a lie and keep her body as normal as possible to not show any sign at all.  But she would break out in a light sweat and blush at having someone watching her as she desperately tried to lie.

"I wonder how long it will take for you family to realize you're lying about everything.  How about taking a ten-minute break and you can practice or review the key points I mentioned to you earlier today."