Chapter 3: Denial

"I don't know who you are, or what you want, but you clearly have the wrong person." She said with a scoff, 'This is definitely a prank.'

She looked at him from head to toe, "This isn't funny.  I'd appreciate it if you leave me alone, otherwise I will call the police." She reached into her pocket to further emphasis that she could and will call them.

"You seriously couldn't come up with something at least a little believable.  Me being a spy?  Is this some prank or some roleplay thing you're doing?" She folded the paper and put it back into the envelope, "Well there are people who do that, roleplay, cosplay, and what was the other thing called, eighth grade syndrome.  You know that Chūnibyō thing."

Even though she was trying to think rationally, there was a part of her that was still pondering and telling her that this wasn't just something as simple as a prank.  There was something else to this, after all how could some unknown man know her full name, her parents' name, birthday and even address.

There were few possibilities, one being that he was a stalker, maybe some undercover detective, some kind of roleplay, or maybe he really was a spy.

Though it seemed more believable that he was a stalker, but was he really?

He certainly didn't look like a stalker, but usually one wouldn't look like a total creep if they wanted to avoid attention.  If he was trying to seem like some crazy detective, well he was doing a perfect job at that.  As for roleplay, he didn't seem like someone who would do such a thing if one were to carefully look at him.

A spy, the chances are slim, but there could be some truth to it.

But the fact that in the letter it was a summons for her to be escorted to some unknown place because she was a recruited spy?  Even it if were true, why would she be recruited?  There really wasn't any reason for that.

There was no doubt in her mind that it was all a mistake.

"Miss Amy, I didn't mistake you for the wrong person.  You are in fact the person that I was assigned to escort back."

She took one more step back, "No.  This is insane." She continued taking steps back, still facing him.  There was no telling what he could do when she looked away from him.

"If it's the fact that I'm older than you or feel any intimidation from me, there will be someone else sent to further discuss this with you." He stated almost acting as if he didn't even hear a single word of her denial.

______________________________________________________________________________

She hadn't stayed there for long after Aaron had told her those chilling words, at least to her it felt bone chilling at hearing that someone else was going to be sent to her.  And from how he sounded and looked, he was serious.

Amy didn't even know how she had gotten home, all she remembered is having run back to her car and drove away without even putting on her seatbelt.  She was pretty sure that she may have been driving over the speed limit, but she didn't even remember.

When she had come to her sense she was already parked in front of her house.

She pulled down the sun visor and looked into the mirror taking in her appearance, from how she felt inside, it was bound to be showing on her face.

Furrowed brows, dilatated pupils, pale lips.  Her face taut and terrified.

Her hands felt as if she had dipped them into a bucket of ice-cold water.  Yet even though her hands felt cold they were clammy.  It could have been from how hard she gripped onto the steering wheel or from the nerves and fear she felt, maybe it could have been both.

Taking a couple of deep breaths Amy gathered her belongings and got out of her car and quickly jogged to the front door.

Once she had gotten inside, she locked the locks on both the door handle and the deadbolt, running around the house like a headless chicken she checked on every window and the backdoor to make sure they were all closed and fully locked.

Amy didn't want to take any chances at all, no matter how small they were.  Though what made it more terrifying for her was that she was the only one at home.  Her older brothers already married and had their own place, her parents both at work.

"I should take a shower." She muttered to herself as she remembered her clammy hands and the obvious perspiration beginning to dry on her skin.

_______________________________________________________________________________

"Hello, is Amy here?"

"I'm her mother, is anything wrong?" She looked at the young girl in front of her.

"No. I'm Melody, I went to school together with Amy, and I wanted to give her a few notes she asked me for." She smiled as she showed her a few notebooks, "She doesn't want to forget some materials from class, since she wants to go to college later on."

With a nod she stepped aside, "Come in, I'll go get her." She said as she led Melody to the living room.

Melody watched as the mother walked around the corner and called out in a soft voice, "Someone is looking for you."

"Hi Amy." Melody smiled as she stood up, "I'm just here to drop a few things for you, and Aaron wanted me to pass along a message to you."

Amy felt as if she had just been doused with cold water, "What?" She whispered out.

"I'll leave you two to talk." Her mother turned away and walked out leaving the two girls alone.

Amy shook her head ready to take a step towards her mother, 'Don't leave me.' The words felt stuck in her throat.

"I'm certain that Aaron has explained a few things to you." Melody began to speak as she walked towards Amy.

"This is insane, a joke.  It's a prank, right?" Amy whispered out, "There's no way that's true." She said, hoping her denial got through.