xxxii. The Final Battle

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

chapter thirty-twothe final battle

chapter thirty-two
the final battle

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

    SHE WAS NERVOUS. She was nervous, but she had undeniable faith━she knew that they would survive this, and get through this, and make it out to the other end, like they always do. But she as she prepared herself for what was to come, she had to see her. She had to travel back into the construction of New Berk where she found her mother and father and see her. They have been through this many times before to know what she was doing━that she was throwing herself into danger yet again, but that was the life of a Viking: battle was in their heart as it was within their veins. It was their jobs, their passion━the way they showed their love: they would fight until the end in order to protect and bring a flourishing life to their tribes, and if they died, they would die in the most glorious ways; bathed in honour and remembered for their bravery. And then, they would watch down from Valhalla and protect their loved ones still standing. 

    There was a saying; wisdom from the Gods themselves that said: The cowardly man thinks he'll live forever, if he keeps away from fighting; but old age won't grant him a truce even if spears spare him.

    And so it was a must to live every day to the fullest━to fight, even if that battle might very be your last.

    Valkyrie whispered sweet nothings as her daughter slept the night away━completely innocent to all that has happened. She brushed her auburn hair away and smiled, sighing out a gentle breath as she was transported into a moment so peaceful. Linnea's knitted brows lifted at her mother's touch, and even if she was growing stubborn to her words━just like her father━Valkyrie's daughter found herself at the most comfort when she was around.

    "I'll be back," she whispered to her as a promise. "I'll be back with the dragons and finally, we'll be home."

      She fixed her little Zephyr toy closer to her and brushed her fingers along the knitted Toothless one she had clutched tight in her arms. "I love you, my darling little girl━" Valkyrie leaned in to kiss her daughter on the forehead. "I love you more than anything." 

      Val held a brief memory of when she first held Linnea in her arms━rather exhausted and crying, and felt her whole world change. She was so small then, and now she had already grown so much━and yet, still so little. Just a Hiccup. 

      The canvas of the tent entrance pulled away and she glanced over her shoulder. She took a deep breath and stood back up when she saw it was Hiccup making his way over. Like him, she had now dressed herself in her dragon armour, ignoring the pain from her cuts and scathes━ready for what was about to come.