xx. Toothless's Friend

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

━━ chapter twentytoothless's friend

━━ chapter twenty
toothless's friend

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

    VALKYRIE led Zephyr as far as she could downwards into the woods. But very soon, the forest became too dense for them to continue with him. His long wings weren't made for thick ferns and branches; he'd probably rip his scales if he tried, and so Valkyrie held no other choice than finding a clearing close to where Toothless had disappeared off to. She and Hiccup slid off Zephyr's saddle, to which Valkyrie gave him a signal to stay and wait. Then, she and Hiccup pursued the Night Fury into the dark, old trees and deep green leaves on foot.

    They walked through the twisted roots and bushes as fast as they could, having lost some distance between Toothless by landing.

    Valkyrie glanced at Hiccup beside her, watching him leap over uprooted trees and duck under low branches, surging forward with breathless pants. She rushed to catch up with him, jumping up onto the roots and landing down on the grass.

    "Hiccup," she called as loud as she dared. At first, her husband didn't seem to hear her, too overshadowed by trying to find his friend. "Hiccup."

    Val reached a hand out and grasped his arm, making him slow down enough to let her catch up. Despite having a metal prosthetic, Thor could Hiccup be fast.

     He frowned at her slightly, wondering why she was slowing them down. Valkyrie recognised the worry in his eyes. She squeezed his arm, starting them off again at a slower━but still fast pace. "It's okay," she assured him. "Toothless'll be fine."

     "He doesn't just go off like that," said Hiccup, climbing over a fallen tree and offering Val a hand to help her follow even though she would have been just fine. "You know him. What if somethings wrong?"

     While he had a point, Valkyrie didn't want Hiccup to stress until there is actually a problem. "Toothless is a dragon," she said. They both ducked under a few shallow branches. "He probably saw something of his fancy to eat or play with. And if not, he's a Night Fury, he can handle himself fine."

     "Unless he needs to fly away," Hiccup picked up his pace at that. "Then he needs me to get out." He surged forwards and Valkyrie sighed, her walks turning into a quick jog to catch up with him again. "I'm pretty sure he went this way ..."

     They took a left. In the time it took to find Toothless, the sun had set and the moon drifted up into the sky. Hiccup had no choice but to slow down once more, for Valkyrie grasped his hand tight to know where he was as the forest grew darker and harder to see in. She was starting to get worried. She planned on getting back home by now, not wanting Linnea to wake up and she not to be there. Nor did she want Astrid or Hott to stay back so long, either. She wanted to find Toothless, and get out of here.