i. Dragon Races

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

━━ chapter onedragon races

━━ chapter one
dragon races

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

     WITH EVERY start to a story, there is an ending. Some could be sad, some might be happy, but there are also stories that hold both. Bittersweet; ones that ache at the heart, but also fill with something special━a fulfilment; closure. You remember all the years you had, all the times you spent, and you say goodbye to them with a tearful smile because you know, deep down, that while this was the end of your story, it was only just the beginning of someone else's. 

      This ending started quite like any other beginning, as most do. 

      Bright and early, on a sunny day that was unusual for Hiccup's home. An island quite mountainous and rocky, with arms and fingers protuding out of the cool waters like hands grasping up to the sky. A place twelve days north of Hopeless, and a few degrees south of Freezing to Death. But much like any home in years gone and past, it has changed. While the landscape stayed very much the same, the people who resided on it did not. Once a place of terror, and war, and early morning wake-up calls in the form of deadly fire, Berk was now the best-kept secret this side of, well ... anywhere. And, granted, the village itself still might not look much since those days ceased (aside from some very brightly-painted buildings), but this wet heap of rock did pack more than a few surprises. 

     Life there had become amazing, but with its rough winters, harsh landscape masked by the beauty and even harsher food, it wasn't for the faint of heart. It was the home of Vikings, and if that wasn't enough to explain, Hiccup will mention their hobbies.

     You see, where as most folks across the sea enjoy hobbies like whittling or needlepoint, them Berkians prefer ... well, a little something they liked to call ...

     Dragon Racing!

     The rules are quite simple, really. Be the fastest to find and catch all the targeted sheep from Sven's farm, toss them into your winnings in time to be in front for the release of the Black Sheep━the final, and most competitive lap of the entire game. Almost everything is allowed: weapons, double-heads, Nadder spikes, explosions ... it was the most dangerous, and yet exciting Viking game that brought out everyone from the village to watch in the stands with chicken legs and home-made banners. 

     Then again, the most important rule of Dragon Racing? Cheating is encouraged

      And the usual competitors━oh, they were the most competitive, cheating Vikings one could ever meet. 

      Not even cowering sheep could escape the grasp of their hands and their dragon claws━

     "Ha!" Into the net dropped two sheep in a splender twist of a yellow Nadder's body. The boy (well, he infact would argue young man━he had a braid, that made him of age!). His blonde hair flew in the wind, leading the fray of racers down for the seventh lap of that day. His cheeks were painted in a bloody clan symbol, one that━while their morals have changed━still was quite fearful and vicious, as all of his family were: a bright blood red and just a tad of yellow (to respect his dragon, of course).