xxiii. The Night Fury Slayer

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

━━ chapter twenty-threethe night fury slayer

the night fury slayer

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

    GRIMMEL continued to sip at his stolen beverage with a leisurely tongue. Valkyrie crouched, glowering through the brim of the dragon eyes of her visor, squinting to see past the flames of Hiccup's sword. Hiccup eyed him with the same care, feet shuffling on the floor. He wasn't who Valkyrie had been expecting. She had been imagining someone horrible and big━somebody much like every other enemy they've faced. But Grimmel was far from that. He was lean, he was skinny; he was the size of a fishbone. 

      Grimmel the Grisly glanced briefly down at his drink, brows furrowing as he gave it a swirl, as if the brew had not settled to his liking, "But please," he met Hiccup's gaze lazily, caring little for Inferno's firey stance, "let me finish my drink."

      In the shadows, Fishlegs under the dark blankets stirred at the sound. Hiccup glanced back━he tried to be subtle but it was enough to catch Grimmel's attention. With no moment waisted, still sipping the last drops of his drink, the master Dragon Hunter flung out a crossbow. The bolt flung across faster than any of them could act, and in seconds, Fishlegs was down, the arrow struck out against his side under the blanket.

     Valkyrie froze, horrified. 

     "F━Toothless!" Hiccup fixed his mistake, sprinting to their friend. Grimmel watched on, taking a final sip of his drink. Once he was finished, he tossed it to the side, spinning the crossbow up to set another bolt against the trigger and aim it at the young chief.

     Val kept herself still, knowing it wasn't right to drop down right now, even if she wanted to. To her left, Hott shifted on the beam, as if going through a similar predicament. Valkyrie set her gaze onto Fishlegs━he did not move, slumped in the dark with Hiccup standing over him, his wary stare turning into a livid glare.

     "What did you do to him?" he demanded as Grimmel took slow steps towards Hiccup, the crossbow in a still and straight aim. 

     "Eh ..." he peered at the chief's chair by the fire, "nothing that he won't sleep off."

     Then, Grimmel sat down in it. 

     Valkyrie flared up with fury. At the way he smirked in the ghastly glow of Hiccup's sword, Grimmel knew exactly what he had done━the insult he stated with no hesitance, no thought. He thought Hiccup unworthy that he sat down in his chair in his presence. In such a lazy way━leaning back and running his fingers along the wooden armrests. "May I?" he asked with no mean of wanting Hiccup's answer. He had already taken it, and taken it with no respect.     

     Hiccup said no word, but his hands clenched around his hilt tighter, as if imagining how hard he could strike it across Grimmel's head. 

     "Chief Hiccup?" Grimmel the Grisly crossed one leg over his other, setting the crossbow on his knee. It didn't shift from its view of Hiccup. "Do I say Chief━" he hiccuped! And the chief's glower harshened. "Or do I call you Hiccup? What do you prefer?"