viii. The War Awaits

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

━━ chapter eightthe war awaits

━━ chapter eight
the war awaits

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

     "UH, HEY, VAL..." legs swinging off the edge of the iceberg, Hott pursed his lips and twiddled his thumbs, glancing up at his sister who paced behind him. "Not to be that person, but ... this doesn't look like heading back to Berk. You know, I━I would like to be home in time for dinner ... Mum's making her really really nice stew."

     "He as a point," Snotlout munched on a chicken leg he had brought with him from Berk. His words were muffled with his mouth full. "Your mum's stew is amazing."

     The group of Riders all hummed, agreeing whole-heartedly. But Val ignored them and just continued to pace. Zephyr's eyes followed her back and forth, squawking in his curiosity over her stress. She fiddled with her brooch, fingers running along the intricate design Hiccup spent hours carving away at. Everyone was settled against a lonesome iceberg at the ocean; they've been here for so long, the sun was starting to set and dusk-pink and salmon colours started to drift in the clouds and cross the water. Val felt bad for keeping them all here for so long, but her mind was muddled with such worry she wasn't thinking really about them.

     Hearing Astrid return on Stormfly, she looked up and hurried over, "Anything?"

    She shook her head and Valkyrie gritted her teeth. She went back to pacing. She bypassed Fishlegs, who was searching his saddle for rocks for Meatlug, Snotlout who was trying to give Ruffnut his second chicken leg, but she was too busy glumly staring out at the sunset, Hott who immediately sat up at the arrival of Astrid, and finally Tuffnut who had long fallen asleep, snoring on Belch's saddle.

     Stoick and Gobber should have been back by now. Hiccup couldn't have gone that far in mere minutes. No. Something had happened, something bad━she just knew it. She should have gone!

     Kicking the egde of the iceberg, she watched some ice fall into the water. "Stupid, stupid ..." she grumbled to herself. Tugging at the collar of her coat, Valkyrie decided that she couldn't wait any longer. "I don't like it," she stated, louder this time. She stopped next to Hott. He arched a brow up at her, a little concerned. "They should've been back with Hiccup by now."

     "I don't like it, either!" cried Ruffnut miserably. She smacked away the piece of chicken Snotlout offered her━it plopped into the water. "Eret son of Eret was the man of my dreams! My everything!" she plumeted back, throwing her arms out and dramatically sobbing fake tears.

     Snotlout frowned, "But, baby," he brushed his fingers along the stubble around his lips, betrayed, "I grew facial hair for you."