Part 10 The monster within

Minho

From the moment Minho walked away from the waterfall he had an inner struggle to keep Linex under control. The dragon wanted to go back and search the underground river and surrounding area. Minho knew it would be useless as he felt the pull of the mate bond disappear moments after Hanul went over the edge.

The whole ride back to the compound Minho was unaware of his surroundings, he entered his mind space to talk to Linex. He felt the dragon withdrawing from him and reality.

"Linex ...... buddy, you have to stay!" Minho coxed the dragon.

"Why? Our mate is GONE! YOUR FATHER KILLED HIM!" With each word Linex's voice got louder, finally ending in a roar. Minho slowly approached him and sat down next to the dragon's head, stroking his crown softly.

He looked around him as this was the first time, he entered mind space into Linex's sanctuary.

Minho was mildly surprised at what he saw. Hmph, not what I expected.

We were in a garden under a huge Oak tree, surrounded by fields of lilies. Slightly to our left was a small lake, calming waves lapping at the pebbled shore. The wind blew my hair into my face, it also carried the faint fragrance of Jasmine. I turned my head in that direction and to the right, there was a white marquise tent with the interior barely visible. I couldn't see any Jasmine flowers or plants, but there was most definitely a faint trace of Jasmine in the air.

I returned my attention to Linex realizing what this space represents.

"Linex, Lilly needs us right now. It is her first shift and she needs a parent. Her Moddy is gone and we have to step up. She is our daughter too."

Linex lifted his head where it was tucked underneath his wing.

"Minho, swear to me that your father and the entire elder council will die." Linex stared into my eyes.

"Why the entire council? There are still some good people on the council, my aunt and Godmother ........." I tried to counter but Linex cut me off with a growl

"They are rotten to the core Minho, ALL of them. They are greedy, cruel, and toxic"

Looking over the lake at the beautiful sunset I told Linex that I would think about it. The sky suddenly turned dark as midnight, and the wind picked up and blew with fury across my body.

"There will be no 'thinking about it' Minho, you either agree with me now or I will take control of your mind and body, locking you in a dark lonely place never to see the light of day ever again."

I nodded my agreement, what else could I do, I needed to be in control. Leaving the mind space, I became aware of my surroundings just as we entered the gates at the abandoned airfield.

Getting out of the van Minho walked purposefully to the living quarters. He entered the observation room looking at the little girl lying restless on the bed on the other side of the safety glass window.

"How is she doing Jack?" Minho asked the only other person in the room.

"She is a strong one, she is hanging in there waiting for you and her Moddy." Jack looked up from the clipboard he was holding with notes written on them, he had a burning question he had to ask but did not know how to. Shaking his head, he decided to just ask.

"Minho, we have been best friends since we were both knee-high, right?" Minho nods his head.

Taking a deep calming breath Jack said "Okay, the question I'm about to ask is not treason, but to be able to understand and protect."

Minho gave Jack a funny look and nodded slightly.

Turning to face Minho, Jack asked "Is Lilly of royal blood?"

"What do you mean?" Minho asked, fear cracking his voice. At that moment Lilly turned over on the bed facing the window. Jack lifted his pen in her direction "Take a look at her hands, that is a trait only those of royal blood can do."

Seeing the silver-scaled claws with an emerald tint where Lilly's hands are supposed to be, I suddenly remember that Hanul also partially shifted at the waterfall. At that time, I was too preoccupied to take notice.

With a thud, I sat down in the chair behind me, with my hands running over my face. "Shit, shit, shit .............. a bloody royal! This complicates everything" I looked up at Jack, "we need to move her now!"

Before I could say anything more the door opened, and my fiancé Wang Ari walked in. She looked at Lilly and turned her frightened eyes to me. "Minho is that her? Is that Lilly?"

I could only nod. She walked over to me placing a hand on my shoulder, " Oh Minho, what are you going to do? Your father .........." She choked on the rest of her words trying to suppress a sob.

Seeing her in distress Jack walked over and took her into his arms. She looked up at him with tear-filled eyes before laying her head on his chest clutching his shirt tightly. "Oh Jack, how are we going to protect her?"

"Hush love, Minho and I will find a way." Lifting her chin, he looked deep into her eyes, "Don't we always find a way?"

Looking at my fiancé in the arms of my best friend I only smiled. "So, is this the 'HOT' date that you had to walk out of?" A blush spread across Jack's face. "Uh Huh"

Ari might be my fiancé, but she is Jack's fated omega, they had already imprinted, and he has marked her. I am the only one who knows about this.

An idea suddenly popped into my head. I looked at Ari "Will you be able to help us by causing a distraction so that I can Lilly out of here for her first shift? She does not know about Hanul yet. I don't know what telling her will do I need to get her out of sight from everybody. I suspect we have a rat problem"

Straightening up she wiped her tears away listening to the plan to get Lilly safely away from prying eyes.