Chapter Five - The Nina Project

"I'm... Kinda honored that I introduced you to Kate Bush." You say suddenly, both you and Max being on the topic of her choice of favorite song. She had admitted to you that her idolization of the woman singer had started the day you showed her Kate Bush's 'Never for Ever' album the day El had dumped Mikes ass just over a year ago now. You couldn't be more proud of yourself than in that moment she admitted this very important fact.

You finally got back to the Wheelers house, everyone rotating watching Max. It was currently your turn, and had been for about an hour or two. You didn't wanna bother anyone else to watch her, as the others were sound asleep and they deserved to be. You had just finished patching up your wound that had covered your knee. It still stung, and you subconsciously take it closer to your chest at the feeling.

You'd tried to convince Max to get some sleep as well, but she refused, and you couldn't blame her. If a big crazed monster were after you, you might've been just a tad bit paranoid as well.

Max yawns from the other side of you on the couch. "Yeah... Good job on that. She's now probably my favorite singer... Of all time." She says, eyes drooping as 'Running Up That Hill' plays softly over her headphones wrapped around her neck.

"A good choice. Mine is still probably Freddie Mercury. You can just never go wrong with Queen." You say, but get no response. You look over sharply to Max to see her eyes fully closed over now, her breathing steady and even.

Well... That didn't take very long. You think to yourself, looking down at your watch. It read the numbers 2:00 AM. Perhaps it had been a bit longer than one or two hours. You feel the exhaustion of the past day hit you like a truck, thankfully feeling a finger tap your arm.

You look up to see Lucas staring back at you. "Go get some sleep, Y/n. You've been on Max duty all night. I can take it from here." He says. You can barely manage a nod, sauntering over to one of the many sleeping bags scattered among the ground.

You trip on an outstretched leg, and curse yourself for not being more aware to your surroundings. You were now wide awake, the painful smack of your cheek on the hard concrete ground being more than enough to wake up. The owner of that said leg immediately sits up, looking up from his place on the reclining chair to see your fallen figure smack dab on the ground.

"Hey." You say to Steve, saluting casually from your place on the ground. "Jesus, Henderson, you alright?" He asks, getting up from his chair to offer you a hand. "Yeah, the floor just looked so lonely, you know? Just wanted to give it a little hug... With my face..." You say, taking his hand.

"You cheating on me?" He asks, a mock hurt expression on his face. "Oh yeah, just found my one and only true love. We really do have so much in common, people just walk over us all the time it's crazy!" You joke, Steve giving you a concerned look. "It's a joke, don't take it too literally." You elaborate, Steve relaxing quite a bit. You let him guide you to one of the open sleeping bags that was behind the chair Steve had unintentionally tripped you in, and you curtsy playfully to him.

"Thank you very much, my lord." You thank in a British accent. "You are quite welcome, my fair lady." He plays along, giving you a bow. You laugh, lowering yourself into the plush bag. Steve starts to walk away, but before he fully turns away from you, you grab him by the wrist.

He raises an eyebrow at you, giving you a shit eating grin. "Shut up..." You say, suddenly feeling not as confident as you did before. "I just... Can you- stay?" You stammer out. He looks away towards the others, running a hand through his hair as he chuckles lowly. "Of course, beautiful." He says, making you blush.

You huff before laying back down into the bag, scooting over so Steve could lay down next to you. You close your eyes as you feel a shuffle from beside you, the covers shifting slightly as Steve shimmies his way into the tiny bag next to you.