Chapter Eight - The Gate

You take a couple more steps back, still not believing what you were seeing. Mike immediately wraps the small girl in a tight hug. Once Steve was certain that you weren't going to fall or anything, he let go of your waist.

"Eleven..."

"Mike." She responds, tears running down her cheeks as she gasps for breath. "I never gave up on you, I called you every night for-"

"353 days... I heard." She says, pulling away from the hug. Your tears start to get more frequent, blurring your vision. You can't believe she was alive. "Why didn't you tell me you were there?" Mike asks.

"Because I didn't let her." Hopper responds, going up to the girl as well before taking her into a side hug. You gasp in slight betrayal at the fact that Hopper kept Elevens existence from all of you without your knowing.

"The hell is this? Where have you been?" He asks, seeing her now punk style look that she rocked. "Where have you been?" She asks accusingly. "You've been hiding her... You've been hiding her this whole time!" Mike exclaims, going up to confront Hopper.

"Hey! Let's talk. Alone." Hopper says, leading Mike into an unoccupied room that was away from prying eyes. Eleven immediately goes up to Dustin and Lucas, wrapping the two in a tight hug. You were still watching from a distance, not sure if she had noticed you yet. You still couldn't decide if you were either dreaming, or hallucinating, not particularly liking either of those outcomes.

"We missed you." Lucas says, voice breaking slightly at the embrace of his old friend. "We talked about you pretty much every day." Dustin continues. She suddenly looks over to him, putting her fingers in his mouth. "Teeth." She states, and Dustin laughs, taking her hand away from his mouth.

"What?"

"You have teeth."

"Oh, you like these pearls?" He asks, doing his stupid growl/purr as soon as he says those words. Max then makes her way through the two. "Eleven? Hey. Um, I'm Max." She states, putting her hand out for El to shake. She ignores it, pushing past her and onto you as the two of you make eye contact.

You put you hands over your mouth and squeeze your eyes shut. "No. You're not real. You can't be real." You say, until you feel someone wrap you into a tight hug. You let out a sob, knees buckling which take you both down to the ground. You cry harder into her shoulder, putting your arms around her small body and clung her to you tightly. You finally come to the realization that this indeed was El.

El was alive. She was safe.

"I-I missed you. I missed you, so much. I thought I lost you. I wrote you so many letters-"

"I know. I saw every one of them, sister." She says, the nickname throwing you back into a fit of sobs. You said in your latest letter that you saw her as a sister. "Dammit, El. God dammit El." You say, clinging to her black leather jacket tighter, as if she would disappear if you let go.

You release her from the hug, taking her face into your hands. "Your hair- your hair. It's grown." You say, laughing in joy slightly at how healthy she looked. She nods her head, more tears sliding down her face.

"I can take you for ice cream." She nods even more, leaning into your touch. "I'm so glad you're safe, sweetie." You state, and she looks up to you. "Me too." With that, she helps you onto your feet before moving to Joyce.

"Hey, hey sweetheart." She says, taking the girl into her arms as well. "Can I see him?" She asks suddenly, letting go of the mother. She sighs, leading El to the Wills room where you had transferred him. You stay close by to El, walking next to her as you make your way into the small room.