Chapter Three - The Pollywog

"Hey honey bun! How was the party?" You mom asks as soon as you walk in the door of your house. You laugh nervously, knowing you would be bombarded with questions if she knew you drove a boy home.

"It wasn't too bad! Really loud, though. You know how parties are." You say, your mom nodding in agreement. You then find yourself looking over to a certain turtle who was currently wandering the hallway.

Huh.

"Um... Do you know why Yertle is out of Dustin's room??" You ask, going to pick the poor thing up. "Nope. Maybe you should check on him, he was acting a bit weird earlier... But he did do a cool thing with his little ghost catcher thing! You should ask him to show you once you get in there." She says, to which you nod before taking off to Dustin's room. Mews was currently growling at his bedroom door, obviously disapproving whatever was going on in there. You pat his head gently, though he still didn't relent, if anything, he got more floofy and defensive.

You shrug your shoulders, not really thinking much of it, and open the door to find your brother looking into Yertles tank.

"Hey, what's up with Yertle being banned from your room? Kinda rude to evict your childhood friend if I say so myself..." You say, leaning on the doorframe with Yertle in the safety of your hand.

Dustin jumps at your voice, before standing in front of the turtles mini habitat, looking totally guilty. He was trying to stand as casually as he could, blocking your view from what was in the tank in the process.

"Oh... Yeahhhh... He just- jumped out?" He asks more than states, and you raise a suspicious eyebrow. "And... You didn't go get him to put him back in...?"

"Uh... No..." You roll your eyes, making your way into the room before pushing Dustin aside to see what was inside the tank. You gasp at the sight of a small... Slug?? Looking reptile. It was kinda... cute, but in an ugly kinda cute way. It was green, with little yellow markings here and there, the mouth was like a suction cup, and it was tiny.

"Dustin... What the hell is this?"

"No clue... I found him in our trash. Please don't tell mom! Not yet, at least, I wanna figure out what he is." He says, sitting down onto his bed and turning around to face you.

"Sounds like you're gonna need a ride to the library... Gotta name for this little guy?" You ask, lowering yourself to see him better through the glass.

"Yeah, D'Artagnan, or Dart for short. And yeah, if you could take me, that would be great." You tear your eye from the strange creature to meet your brothers eye. "Nougat?" He nods his head, smile playing onto his face.

"Well of course! He likes Nougat! It's how I knew this was the start of a great friendship." You shake your head. "Fair enough. Honestly, who doesn't like Nougat?"

"The others!"

"What??? Really?! How dare they?! I am severely wounded, I will never trust anyone ever again." You say, dramatically falling onto his floor with a hand over your broken heart.

"I know right!!! Like what???" He agrees, yawning a bit, his eyes slowly dropping. It had clearly been a long day for him. "Oh, by the way, how was your night with the girl?" You ask, throwing suggestive eyes at him from the floor that you were still laying on.

"Oh, it was, like, tooootally tuuuubular." He says in a surfer dude impression. You shake your head, laughing at him as you get up from the floor and over to the door frame. "Alright, I'm glad you had such a gnarly night, dude." You say, mimicking the accent. He laughs, before yawning again.

You smile softly. "Goodnight, Dusty."

"Goodnight, Y/n."

——————-