Chapter Seven - The Mind Flayer

"You're positive that was Dart?"

"Yes. He had the same yellow pattern on his butt." Dustin responds to Lucas. The party was currently walking back down the rail road tracks trying to get back to Steve's car. You and Steve were in the lead, the three kids trailing behind you.

"But he was tiny just two days ago!" Max exclaims. "Well, he's molted three times already." Dustin sasses back. "Malted?" Steve asks, turning back in confusion to which you slap your forehead and let out a long sigh.

"Molted. It means he shed his skin like a snake does to make room for growth. Should've paid more attention in middle school biology, Harrington." You say, to which he puts his head down in shame.

"Well, when's he gonna molt again?" Max asks you, to which you shrug your shoulders. "It's gotta be soon, and when he does, he'll be full grown, or close to it." Dustin answers for you.

"So will his friends." You say in realization. "Yeah, and he's gonna eat a lot more than just cat." You intake a short breath, looking down at your shoes.

"Wait, a cat??" Lucas asks Steve, suddenly catching onto Dustin's secret. "Dart ate a cat??" He continues, to which Dustin shakes his head. "No, what?? No!"

"What are you talking about? He ate Mews." Steve says, to which you purse your lips. "Mews? Whose Mews?" Max asks.

"It's Y/n's cat." He responds, pointing over to you, who still had your head down, finding the ground to be very interesting.

"Steve!!" Dustin scolds. "I knew it! You kept him!" Lucas says, pushing Dustin slightly, looking to him with betrayal in his eyes. "No! no... No, I- no." You look over to him with a judgemental look, still not happy with him for getting your cat killed, even if it was unintentional. He sighs guiltily under your gaze.

"He missed me. He wanted to come home." He says, coming clean. "Bullshit!" Lucas accuses him. "I didn't know it was a Demogorgon, okay?!"

"Oh so now you admit it??"

"Guys, it doesn't matter. We need to go." You say, wanting their pointless arguing to be over. "Yeah! Who cares??" Max backs you up, to which you smile gratefully to her. You were so glad that there was finally another girl in the party. You did care, but it wasn't something you were willing to discuss right now in the middle of the woods on abandoned railroad tracks.

"I care! You put the party in jeopardy! You broke the rule of law!" Lucas accuses him. "So did you!!!" Your brother yells to him. "What??" Lucas asks, confused by the accusation. "You told the stranger the truth!!" You hear Max scoff from beside you, going over to them to join into their endless cycle of accusing.

"A stranger??" She asks. "You wanted to tell her, too!" Lucas yells back. "But I didn't, Lucas, okay???" You put your fingers onto the bridge of your nose, groaning at their continuous bickering.

You look up suddenly, though, at the sound of a screeching sound that sounded terrifyingly akin to the baby Demogorgons screech that you had just fought. You look over to Steve. "Did you hear that?" You ask, to which he nods, hand reaching into his backpack to get his bat carefully and slowly from it.

You follow suit, putting your axe in front of your face. "Hey, guys?" Steve asks, but they didn't answer, too involved in their heated discussion to hear him. You sigh.

"GUYS!" You yell to them, and they immediately fall silent upon hearing you. Steve looks over to you, a bit of jealousy and admiration present in his eyes. "How the hell did you do that??" He asks.

"Years and years of practice." You respond, falling silent upon hearing the screaming coming again. "Cover for me." Steve whispers to you, looking over into your eyes to see you nodding, before heading off towards the sound. You usher the kids to follow after Steve, Max being the only one left.